Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dv6545eg
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have installed Windows 10 on a HP 6500 Entertainment Notebook but  all drivers I found are not working.  I guess HP does not support Windows10 with this Laptop.  What can I do? Is the only way to install Vista?    I flashed the Bios to new version.        Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no way to fix the wireless problem unless you replace the motherboard with a known good one.

Suggest to your customer to buy a USB wireless network adapter, which would be the cheapest and easiest way to get wireless.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to use the Vista drivers on W10.

You probably have a coprocessor and base system devices that need drivers correct?

Here's what you need for those...

Base system devices...

This package contains the driver for the Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader for the supported notebook models and operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software9/COL19729/ob-55777-1/sp37726.exe

Coprocessor:  You will need to manually install this driver as follows if the auto install doesn't work...

This package provides the driver for the NVIDIA nForce AR Chipset in the supported notebook models and operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp37501-38000/sp37730.exe

Go to the device manager and click on the coprocessor needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetip\sp37730.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

For the graphics, download and run the Vista graphics driver from your notebook's support page (you will get an unsupported operating system error...close that window), and manually install it just like you did for the coprocessor.

Just browse to C:\SWSetup\sp42635.

HP Recommended

Hi, great. Thanks a lot.  most of them are working. only one unknown driver i have now.   Maybe the wireless driver.  Because I have no wireless network adapter.  And strange is, that the orange light infront of the laptop is always orange. even if I turn off and on the switch.   I read in another forum that it could be a hardware defect?  Maybe you also have a solution for that?  a speacial driver?     I try to install wireless driver from your website automatically and manually.

After all it have no effect.  I do not see any wireless adapter in the system.  

cable Ethernet also does not work.  I see the adapter. It have connection but it says at the end of the access point it can not get a connection.   Cable is ok.

kind regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post the hardware ID for the unknown device.

To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and click on the unknown device needing the driver.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the unknown device window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 3rd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

When you ran sp37730, that should have installed the ethernet driver.

If you see a nvidia nForce ethernet controller listed under the Network Adapters device manager category, then the driver is installed and unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the ethernet adapter isn't working.

If the wireless card needs a driver, you would be seeing a device labeled in the device manager as a Network Controller.

Check the Network Adapters device manager category and see if you see both the ethernet and wireless network adapters listed there.

If you do not see a wireless network adapter listed under the Network Adapters device manager category, and you don't see a Network Controller device listed in the main device manager list, then there is a hardware issue of some kind.

The dv6xxx model series with the nvidia chipsets had a bad record of overheating and motherboard issues...one of them being that the slot that the wireless card plugs into loses power from the motherboard, which makes the wireless card disappear.

HP Recommended

Hi, your last tipps also were working :)))  great done!!!  

Network cable now is working and the unidentified controller also find a driver now. 

you rwrite  >> The dv6xxx model series with the nvidia chipsets had a bad record of overheating and motherboard issues...one of them being that the slot that the wireless card plugs into loses power from the motherboard, which makes the wireless card disappear.

I guess that is ecact the problem.  what can I do than? Only solution is to repair it?  It is a laptop from a customer. So I give it back to him and he only work with lan cable.  or is there also any way to fix that?  Open the laptop and reconnect the plug?

kind regards

Leon

HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no way to fix the wireless problem unless you replace the motherboard with a known good one.

Suggest to your customer to buy a USB wireless network adapter, which would be the cheapest and easiest way to get wireless.

HP Recommended

good idea.   I wish you a happy new year and thanks for the professional help.  

best wishes to you and your family

Leon

HP Recommended

Anytime, Leon.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Happy New Year to you and your family too!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.