Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the above laptop and am trying to find a driver for a usb-obd2 device to read onboard diagnostics from a car.

The device id is

USB\VID_0403&PID_6001

Can you help me find the driver?

thanks

martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Martin:

I have zipped up and attached the driver I believe you need below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

You will need to manually install the driver.

To manually install the driver, go to the device manager and click on the USB serial device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi, Martin:

I have zipped up and attached the driver I believe you need below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

You will need to manually install the driver.

To manually install the driver, go to the device manager and click on the USB serial device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

HP Recommended

HI, thanks  for the rapid reply.

I have downloaded the driver but when I go into the device properties the 'update driver' button is greyed out.

Is there another way?

thanks

martin

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Martin.

I've never come across that before where the update driver button is grayed out.

Unfortunately, there isn't any other way that I know of.  There is no exe file for the driver pack.

As you can see from the contents of the driver setup information file, there is support for the hardware ID you posted...

[FtdiHw.NTamd64]
%USB\VID_0403&PID_6001.DeviceDesc%=FtdiBus.NTamd64,USB\VID_0403&PID_6001
%USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_00.DeviceDesc%=FtdiBus.NTamd64,USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_00
%USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_01.DeviceDesc%=FtdiBus.NTamd64,USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_01

Try uninstalling the device, then scan for hardware changes at the top of the device manager window.

You need to get that update driver button to be able to work.

HP Recommended

ok, i have found a route that gives me the update buton. i have directed it to both of the subfolders but it fails.

i have other devices that have ! marks next to them in the device driver although the laptop seems to run ok.

could one of those be getting in the way do you think?

thanks

HP Recommended

Sorry that driver didn't work for you.

You will probably have to get the whole driver file from the manufacturer of the OBD-2 reader.

What other devices do you need drivers for?

HP Recommended

base system device

6 x bluetooth peripheral device

pci serial port

pci simple communications controller

2 x unknown devices 

and the usb<->serial device

quite a list

HP Recommended

You need these drivers for the:

base system device:

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60769.exe

pci serial port

pci simple communications controller:

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Management Engine Interface enables communication between the host operating system and the Intel Management Engine firmware.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55757.exe

One of the unknown devices will need this driver...

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook is accidentally bumped or dropped.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

The other one probably needs this driver...

This package contains the driver that enables the Validity Fingerprint Sensor in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The fingerprint sensor scans fingerprints for use with biometric security applications.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66915.exe

You need the bluetooth driver for the 6 other BT peripheral devices.

What model wlan adapter does your notebook have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.  The bluetooth radio is part of that adapter.

HP Recommended

you are an absolute star.

i will run through the drivers you have located and see how I go.

thanks

martin

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.