Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy DV7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to reset computer to factory settings.  After selecting the WINDOWS RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT, the computer begins to restart.  It stays as a blue screen and never gets to the CHOOOSE AN OPTION menu.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

I would suggest you restart the PC (hard reset - keep the power on/off button hold for a while).

Restart the recovery process and try again.  If it still does not work, please provide details and post again.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you.

I followed your steps and nothing has changed.  I am not sure what details you need.  I do not receive an error message when I try to get to the recovery menu.  I just never get to the menu, the computer remains with a blue screen and goes no further.  I have had it on for 3 hours now with no changes.  After performing your steps, it has been 10 minutes with no change in status.

I am trying to reset it because a co-worker had set up her fingertip as the log in and doesn't remember the password she set for administrator.  As she is no longer with the company, I need to remove her personal items and passwords off so another co-worker may use it.  If you know a way to remove her as administrator, that would be great.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Could you clarify if this is company owned asset ?

Do you use the HP Recovery option (F11) to complete the process or you use a custom (company) built recovery media ?

Do you mean your ex-colleague (she) set up start up password/fingerprint login and you cannot start the PC ?

Could you take a few pictures and attach them here (or upload them somewhere - GoogleDrive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc...) ?

Could you post your full product model and product number (PN) > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108  ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

It is an HP Envy DV7

Product: C2N70UA#ABA

Model: dv7-7227cl

Regulatory Model: TPN-W107

Contains Atheros Model AR5B125

Not sure why it matters who owns it, but my company does.  My colleague was handed it brand new and allowed to set it up.  Right now, the computer is broken up into 4 users and I am trying to remove all the software she downloaded.  She used it as her personal computer and for another business she was with.  I can only access the guess user account and the second administrator account we set up to just get into it.  When I try to remove her, it asks for her password which we do not have.  I have tried all the ways in this forum to try and get her password re-set with no luck.  That leaves setting it back to factory settings so I can set up one user and the software needed to do our job minus everything else.

I have tried to use the Recovery Manager menu from the start menu.  Then I tried to use the F11 key with no success.  We do not have any of the materials that came with the laptop, so unsure about recovery disks and there weren't any disks made for it.  I have found disks labeled recovery disks (4 of them) but am not sure if they go to an HP or not.  Still looking into the disk option at this time.

HP Recommended

Hello @ap2001,

Thank you very much for the provided follow-up.

It matters who owns the PC because this is a forum and if you are not the owner of the asset (if you are not the company owner) I would suggest you bring the PC to your company's IT department (if there is such a department).

With several users and whenever a new person is going to use the PC, it is always recommended to perform system reimage (Windows reinstallation) due to security reasons [the PC may have some information from the other person and this needs to go away or the PC may have some hidden virus/malware] and also as per best practise [to eliminate any Windows issue that might have been left from other user].

I checked your PC specifications and it says it originally comes with Windows 8 preinstalled but you have listed you use Windows 7 on this PC. Do you use Windows 8/8.1 ? Could you confirm ?

In all cases you will need to use recovery media to perform the recovery. The locally stored recovery manager (stored in the HDD) seems corrupted [based on the described issues] and cannot complete.

You should order HP Recovery media to perform the recovery (reinstall Windows, drivers, restore to factory default condition).

Here is the URL where you can purchase the set from :

>> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23045-windows-8-64-bit-recovery-kit-708592-001-for-hp-envy-noteboo...

Once you receive it, you need to use the first disc and boot from it.

Here are detailed instructions how to perform the recovery with the discs >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language=english...

Hope this helps. Please, provide feedback, let me know how it goes and do not hesitate to post again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.