Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 13-d061sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy 13 laptop frequently gets incredibly sluggish when the power cable is plugged in. This appears to be because the CPU speed is being throttled. If I view the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager, the CPU speed drops to 0.38GHz within seconds of plugging the cable in. If I remove the cable, the speed jumps back up to around 2.7GHz and the laptop performs as expected. 

I've ruled out Windows power settings as being the cause. In advanced power settings, processor power management is set to allow 100% for the 'maximum processor state'. Adjusting these settings and switching between different power plans (e.g. HP Recommended, High Performance, Power Saver) has no positive affect.

The problem occurs regardless of whether I'm using the laptop for anything intensive - I don't believe the laptop should be throttling the CPU to prevent overheating.  I see this problem even if my only open application is Google Chrome with memory use of approx 35% and CPU <10%. Watching videos or using any more powerful software is impossible without lagging or hanging.

Restarting the laptop doesn't fix the problem and this seems to have been a problem from new. I've downloaded all updates available through the HP Support Assistant program (including one for BIOS), but still see the issue. I suspect it may be BIOS related, but if so I'd expect all owners of this laptop to have the problem.

Is this something others are seeing? I would be glad of any suggestions to help me fix this. Cheers!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

HI @ElZoid,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:  First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that when on battery power your notebook's performance is good, but when you connect it to power the  notebook's power decreases.  Restarting the notebook does not change the behavior.  You have done all the HP updates.

Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Using the AC Power Adapter that will rule that possibility out.

Are you connecting directly to an outlet and not in a power bar?

Have you tried a different outlet?

Here is a link to HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10) that may also help.

Next  I would try restoring the default power scheme.

• Right click on the Windows button (lower left corner)

• Choose command prompt admin

• Type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and press enter

Please keep me updated on your progress.

Once you find an answer that solved your difficulty, please choose "Accepted Solution" to alert other people to your success. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my Envy 13.  I find that if i disconnect the power and reconnect the processor steps back up and a period of time before stepping down again.  I also find that if I boot up on power it tends to be more reliable than if I boot on battery.

I have tried different power outlets with the same effects.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Event viewer could give you some clues. Look in  Event viewer > Windows Logs > System.  Look for Kernel-Processor-Power warning events. Processor power is controlled by the BIOS.

HP Recommended
Hi David. I suffered this for several months, but soon after my original post here the problem seemed to sort itself. I can only guess one of the HP BIOS updates (there have been at least two) has resolved it. As far as I can think, I've not changed anything else on the laptop that would have fixed the issue.
HP Recommended
Hi yes. Some further googling revealed a BIOS update released mid March that fixed it.
HP Recommended

Can you please let me know where I can find that Google update you are referring to? I have had the exact same issue with my Envy 14...

THANKS!

HP Recommended

Sorry I meant that BIOS update that you googled...

HP Recommended
No need to Google anything. Open the HP Support Assistant from the start menu. It will list any available updates for your laptop and you simply click on the button to download and install all.
HP Recommended
The new bios actually didn't fix this for me as of 10/12/16. It has to do with power
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.