Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
m6-1232ea
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,
I just replaced my old hdd with a ssd and of course I had to use the recovery disk (5 dvds made when I bought the laptop).
So i did. There are 3 options for installing the OS and all of them got me to the same point where the install is asking about recovery media. No additional informations about what exactly is asking for and no other options not even to turn the laptop off... That stage is after a bunch of programs got installed (3rd reboot since the restoring starts).
Looking at the partitions made during restore I've notice the last partition on ammount of 8Gb where all the restore software was suppose to be. On the old hdd that partition have 24Gb alocated and it's full...
Is that the problem with that bunch of dvd? So far I think the all restore disk is designed to work combined with the informations stored on hdd. Anyway, I wasted a lot of time to get nowhere and one thing for sure, I am NOT going to pay twice for same product (the OS on this matter).
Any suggestions? Thanks in advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sweetpoison

The problem is that the recovery disks are designed to work with a drive the same capacity as the original.  If your SDD is a lot smaller, that will not work -- which is probably the issue you are seeing.

If you want to replace an HDD with a smaller SDD, you have to setup using a larger HDD first, then shrink down the paritions to fit onto the SDD, then migrate them to the SDD.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@sweetpoison

The problem is that the recovery disks are designed to work with a drive the same capacity as the original.  If your SDD is a lot smaller, that will not work -- which is probably the issue you are seeing.

If you want to replace an HDD with a smaller SDD, you have to setup using a larger HDD first, then shrink down the paritions to fit onto the SDD, then migrate them to the SDD.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for answer.

What you say it makes sense so much that scares me. In the mean time I changed the labels from "recovery disks" to "fresby" (although even as fresby are are still not working properly).

I will give one more go to clone tools (about 5 hours to complete cloning because of USB speed) and if is not working I will just buy a regular winblows licence since is the cheapest option and forget about all the HP restore crap.

Hard to believe but I miss the good old days when I use to spend 4h for installing windows 3.11 from floppy disks. That was so much faster compared with so "advanced" 2017 even if the goal remain the same: install a fresh OS.

Sorry HP, I am very dissapointed regarding the operating system and how is set up on your laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.