Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got the new Spectre x360 with i7 Kaby Lake processor.  I like most everything about it, but it gets hot in the upper left hand corner, and the temps are in the 80-90 range during normal load.  Researched possible solutions, and one common solution seems to be making sure the Bios is updated.

HP Assistant coincidentally popped in a message about an updated Bios available.  Perfect timing, so I thought.  Bios update downloaded ok, but during installation, I got the error message c2-Error: Region is write protected.  

Thoughts on how to update the Bios?  I know that one of the recommendations is not to update the  Bios unless something is not working.  Everything seems to be working fine, but I'm thinking I should update he Bios anyway to see if it solves the heat problem.  Thoughts on that?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks.   The oddest thing happened.  Despite getting the error message above and the Bios update process seeming to abort, when I rebooted hours later,  the Bios updated.  I checked, and it is now the latest version.  

Guess my problem is solved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Thanks.   The oddest thing happened.  Despite getting the error message above and the Bios update process seeming to abort, when I rebooted hours later,  the Bios updated.  I checked, and it is now the latest version.  

Guess my problem is solved.

HP Recommended

The exact same thing happened to me this evening. Background: My Spectre arrived late October, and after I saw and installed some driver updates that stated they were to support W10 Anniversary edition, I updated W10 to the Anniversary edition. Everything seemingly smooth. Then I saw this latest (F.10 Rev A) BIOS, whose notes say it is to support Anniversary edition. So I installed this BIOS update, with the same error code but apparent installation success upon the normal reboot that actually updates the BIOS.

A Cortana search using the popup error message text brought me to your post.

Follow-on question: The BIOS update wizard allows for the creation of a BIOS recovery partition (1gig). Is that partition supposed to be automatically deleted? Apparently not, because I now see an empty 980mb "recovery" partition eating into my precious SSD. Can this partition be safely deleted? My Recovery volume (D:) is not involved with this, of course.

HP Recommended

I have had this exact same problem on 2 different BIOS updates now.  I got this laptop in October (Spectre x360, Kaby Lake), and have tried installing the F04 and, today, F11 updates.  Both fail with this message, but then proceeded to install successfully upon reboot.

My guess is that it's not a problem with the BIOS itself, but the installer program is probably trying to write a log file or something to a folder that does not exist.  It looks like some old 1990s software that would always do stuff like that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.