Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab071nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this HP Pavilion Laptop over a year agoand was blessed with a free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Like always, I took the necessary precaution of creating the 6 DVD's to use in case of needing to take the laptop back to factory default.  Well, about 6 months later, I was forced to use these disks because of viruses, etc. (the last resort in my many years of computer experiences).

After successfully resetting back the way it was when I bought it, I had a great surprise of finding that I ended up with the 8.1 I started with.  It would not let me enter anyactivation code, so I contacted Conn's, where I purchased it.  I was told by their "experts" that the only way to get back to normal with Windows 10 was to let them send it to their repair center, where, after about a week, put a new copy of Windows 8.1 on it, and then to grant me the free upgrade of Windows 10.

All has pretty much gone OK until my warranty ran out and, now I am really frustrated to be forced to find someone who can either explain to me how I can manage to do this without having to purchase Windows 10.  I'm not sure I would know how to go about making this happen and go back to a fresh copy of Windows 10.

Please contact me with any advice you may have, or suggest anyone else who may help.

Thank you,

JaaArr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook was previously successfully upgraded, and activated from W8.1 to W10, you always have the opportunity to clean install W10 anytime by using the Media Creation tool at the link below for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you go to reinstall W10 and it asks you to enter the product key, there is also an option to select labeled 'I don't have a product key.' 

You select that option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are reconnected to the internet.

I'm surprised the folks you brought the PC to didn't tell you about that option.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook was previously successfully upgraded, and activated from W8.1 to W10, you always have the opportunity to clean install W10 anytime by using the Media Creation tool at the link below for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you go to reinstall W10 and it asks you to enter the product key, there is also an option to select labeled 'I don't have a product key.' 

You select that option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are reconnected to the internet.

I'm surprised the folks you brought the PC to didn't tell you about that option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.