Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The latest Windows 10 update slowed my laptop to an unusable state. Deleting the update files did not fully restore the laptop, so rolled it back to a earlier restore point.

This did not fully restore the speed of the laptop. HP diagnostics did not identify any hardware problems, so I created a Windows Recovery USB, then uploaded a clean version of Windows 10.

This returned the laptop to it's normal speed, so I presumed my problem was being caused by a virus or installed app.

I tried to recover my previous status by booting Windows from the Recovery USB, which makes an attempt , but after asking what my keyboard configuration is; I clicked on English, the first option, and it flashes up an empty box and loops back to the keyboard question. I am mostly unhappy about losing my Thunderbird e-mails, so if I can't boot from the USB, can I access the emails and move them across to my hard drive?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AlanStash

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

That must be hard, to get the answer to this question,  yes you can save your personal data or files on external drive or cloud storage. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks for your response detailing how I could have avoided the problem I had trying to Recover from a USB.

Had I known the recovery steps you advise, I probably wouldn't have encountered a problem.

I have now created a system image on an external hard drive and a recovery DVD.

My real issue is that my HP Envy does not allow booting from a USB, however I change the boot sequence, despite, what I think are all the required files being present on the USB.

The keyboard loop indicates to me the boot process from the USB is started, then aborted for a reason I fail to detect.

I have uploaded a clean copy of Windows 10 and manually recovered the applications deleted by the original recovery attempt.

It is a shame I had to waste 3 days getting back to almost normal

HP Recommended

@AlanStash

Thank you for posting back. 

I can see how that would be difficult and I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

Is everything working fine after installing clean windows OS, or would you require any further assistance? 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.