Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have forgotten my password for my local account to login to Windows 10. I have tried to reset but every time I am told there is not enough disk space to continue. Because I cannot login I cannot change the free disk space on the device. I have also tried to reboot to recovery drive but keep getting error message. Help - I cannot access my PC at all.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Limmynis

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Hey, I understand ... You make a password "strong enough" to protect your PC, you also make it hard to remember!

But, do not despair. If you have access to a working PC and are willing to do a little work you may be able to reset your password.

The reset tool is the Trinity Rescue Kit, and can be found here: http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT_DOWNLOAD

Once you have the downloaded file, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Once you have the media created, you can read this post for information on how to use it: https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have tried what you suggested and have created both bootable CD and USB. I get Trinity Rescue kit to start from the bootable CD but after the first menu I continue to get an error : "Trying to find TRK on your 0 CD-drive(s)  Seems we didn't find the TRK medium  Manually enter the device on which TRK can be found (e.g. 'sda1')

I cannot get past this point to get anything to work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.