Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

hi.

My friend laptop hdd fail so i replace it, the laptop come with windows 8.1 he upgraded to 10. after replacing the hdd i tried to install windows 8.1 but it asking me for a product key witch is embeded in bios. i install the os with a generic key and used a key finder to get the key but it not working the key is invalid.

product no. J0X98EA#BH5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It depends on security policy for different companies. Different company have a different security measures they take and apply.

HDD is one of the component that the Producy Key is tagged to and replacing it needs the programming to be changed. I am sure an authorized serive center will be able to help you out.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You canot pull out the embeded key from BIOS. You need to take the unit to a authorized service center to do so.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
HP Recommended

i did it before with Dell, Acer, Lenovo all work great but why it not working with hp???

HP Recommended

It depends on security policy for different companies. Different company have a different security measures they take and apply.

HDD is one of the component that the Producy Key is tagged to and replacing it needs the programming to be changed. I am sure an authorized serive center will be able to help you out.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.