Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 1205 dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Internal DVD is seen in device manager but wont pop open with out a paper clip. It is seen in device manager but wont fire my HP discs I bought from HP.

Trying a bootable usb stick and an external HD and the bios sees them but on F9 boot sequence the default is the EFI file and when I arrow don to usb stick or Ext HD , I hit enter but it like it still tries to look for the EFI file and not my selections.

Again I arrow down hit enter to F10 or esc or every one key but it fails and again on F9 shows EFI file.

Is there a secret to arrow to USB or Ext Usb HD and make it take it  OR get rid of that EFI choice and have the USB (s) as the default choice. Tried  every mathematical possibilty on the F10 Bios and cant get the usb to fire.

Again if someone thinks they know why the DVD is not opening and not booting my Recovery CD s  OR

Why those USB ( s) wont fire.

Thanks

Watch out for flying laptops out the windows if you go past my house !

*ps  The HD internally was formatted to give away.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@thehand2020 :

You had a 75% chance of booting from the wrong USB port, which again, is why I replied to your post in an effort to help you.

All I can do is go by the official specs, which state your notebook has three, repeat...three USB 3 ports, and one USB 2 port.

If the notebook doesn't boot from the USB 2 port, then you have a hardware problem of some kind.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Did you disable Secure Boot in BIOS? If it is enabled it will prevent booting from anything other than internal hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes and ever other combo in the bios. I think maybe the bios is corrupt?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The only other suggestion I can offer is to make sure you are booting from the notebook's one USB 2 port.

It won't boot from a USB 3 port.

HP Recommended

I think I know which of my 4 USB is the only USB 3.

However I have three different USB sticks and one ext HD jammed in those USB s.

I arrow to each one ,high light it then hit ENTER but I dont think the Laptop actually processes the selection and basically says Im going with the EFI file.

Secure boot is disabled, I want to eliminate the EFI or at least make the true USB selection. sigh

HP Recommended

You didn't state in your post that you tried the flash drives in all 4 ports, which is why I suggested that you boot from the sole USB 2 port.

If you had, I wouldn't have bothered replying to your post.

The notebook will not boot from any of the 3 USB 3 ports.

Your notebook has 3 USB 3 ports and 1 USB 2 port.

HP Recommended

YOU ARE IN CORRECT SIR. THE UNIT HAS 3 USB 2 PORTS AND ONE (1) USB 3 PORT.

HP Recommended

If your laptop is Envy M6 1205Dx -according to the Specs you have 3 x USB 3.0 ports and 1 x USB 2.0 as Paul mentioned. The one USB 2.0 should be on same side as cd/dvd drive and closest to back corner.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m6-1200-Notebook-PC-series/5330543/model/5359749/documen...

Manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03694820

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@thehand2020 :

You had a 75% chance of booting from the wrong USB port, which again, is why I replied to your post in an effort to help you.

All I can do is go by the official specs, which state your notebook has three, repeat...three USB 3 ports, and one USB 2 port.

If the notebook doesn't boot from the USB 2 port, then you have a hardware problem of some kind.

HP Recommended

Would not go USB 2 but changed DVD and on the way. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.