Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ba100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello

i bought a Notebook about 6 months ago, i recently had a knock on it just below the keyboard and the laptop switched off.

after trying to get it back on for a while a realised that the hard drive was exactly below where i had knocked it and i had broken the hard drive.

What would be the best solution to fix my laptop?

Can i just buy a new hard drive, install it and then install a normal version of windows or do i need a special HP version/Recovery disc to do so?

if i do need a recovery disc is it possible to download from somewhere or would i need to get one from HP or can i install a normal verion and download all the drivers and stuff i need from HP website?

Any help would be great. dont want to order something only to find out its not going to work

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

According to the SUPPORT PAGE for that model, it came with Windows 10, so the Recovery Media kit would reinstall just like it was from the factory.  HP has not made that available through download, however.  It needs to be ordered.

If you wish to install Windows 10 without using the Recovery Media, then the drivers are available form here:

http://support.hp.com/hk-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-ba100-Notebook-PC/12499462/model/13556521

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

So are you saying its possible to do this without a specific recivery disc?

also is there a certain type of hard drive i'd need to buy or if i just bought a 1Tb Laptop hard drive would that work?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Yes, it is possible to replace the hard drive with another and install Windows 10 without a Recovery Media kit from HP.  It will be more difficult and the drivers will need to be checked or even downloaded from the HP site but it is possible.  Since that model is usually sold outside the USA, it might be more difficult to get the HP Recovery Media kit and using the windows 10 path is more probable reason to consider it.

A normal laptop 1TB hard drive should work as the replacement drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks again

is there anyway or anywhere possible to download a copy of windows 10 from HP or anything?

I have windows 10 on py PC but that was an upgrade from my windows 8 i had on it. Would i have to install windows 8 on it and upgrade again or is there a way to get a copy of windos 10 as ive paid for it by buying the laptop?

HP Recommended

To my knowledge HP does not sponsor a Windows 10 download but you can get it from M$ from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "use the tool to create installation media".  Once completed, you can then use that flash drive/DVD to install on the new hard drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks again.

Just set it downloading now and about to fit the new hard drive.

i saw on the page before downloading that ill need a product key. is there a way of me getting my product key from my laptop?

i dont think ive got any of the paperwork or anything that came with it and i obviously cant get anything from my old hard drive.

is there maybe a way to get it from HP using the serial number from my laptop or anything?

HP Recommended

If the PC had Windows 10 installed, skip the product key thing.  It will activate when the install is done.  As  to the version I would install the 64Bit version as the PC is capable of that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.