Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last day to update... so time to go. 😄 But after launch update process i get an error message about not supported WiFi card. Can I remove WiFi card, install Win 10 and maybe later buy supported WiFi card for this model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to...Just make sure you connect by ethernet cable so W10 is activated before the deadline.

Then I recommend you get the Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wlan card...HP Part number 636672-001, listed in chapter 3, page 25 of the service manual.  That is the only card that I see on the list that should work on W10.

NOTE:  You MUST get that specific card, and it MUST have the HP part number on it or it will not work.

I usually go on eBay, query by the HP part number and buy a card that shows the part number in the eBay listing photograph.

But an easier thing to do would be to make the W10 installation DVD by using the media creation tool at the link below, run the upgrade from the windows desktop, select do not check for updates and W10 will bypass any hardware checks and install with the atheros card in place.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I doubt the atheros card will work after W10 is installed, but you shouldn't have to remove it just to install W10.

There is a W10 driver for that card but I think the hardware version of the card your notebook has is too old to work with the driver.

This package contains the driver installation package for the Qualcomm Atheros AR9000-Series wireless LAN Controller in the supported models and operating systems. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71858.exe

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 32
Microsoft Windows 10 64

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9380 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to...Just make sure you connect by ethernet cable so W10 is activated before the deadline.

Then I recommend you get the Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 wlan card...HP Part number 636672-001, listed in chapter 3, page 25 of the service manual.  That is the only card that I see on the list that should work on W10.

NOTE:  You MUST get that specific card, and it MUST have the HP part number on it or it will not work.

I usually go on eBay, query by the HP part number and buy a card that shows the part number in the eBay listing photograph.

But an easier thing to do would be to make the W10 installation DVD by using the media creation tool at the link below, run the upgrade from the windows desktop, select do not check for updates and W10 will bypass any hardware checks and install with the atheros card in place.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I doubt the atheros card will work after W10 is installed, but you shouldn't have to remove it just to install W10.

There is a W10 driver for that card but I think the hardware version of the card your notebook has is too old to work with the driver.

This package contains the driver installation package for the Qualcomm Atheros AR9000-Series wireless LAN Controller in the supported models and operating systems. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71858.exe

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 32
Microsoft Windows 10 64

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9380 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

After removing WiFi card and installing Win 10 and inserting card back, windows was in next start frozen, but after removing battery/power cable and new start everything is ok. Withouth necessity installing special drivers.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

You made it just in time.

HP Recommended

Yeah! 😄 I started upgade after backup of files about 7h before end time. During upgrade i was sleeping and after some restarst i had to 3 times return from primary OS linux to windows and finished 2,5 hours before end time. 😄 Win 10 NOW is really better and faster.

Sadly for the people they did not had this update for "incompatibility" of WiFi card in time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.