Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 650 G1 (D9S33AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to reset my laptop but it doesn't work. I have tried every guide out there, spent hours trying to figure out the issue, but I don't seem to be able to fix it by myself. I will now elaborate on the reasons why as well as the things I've tried already but failed:

--

My HP Probook has been very slow and the taskmanager showed that even whilst doing nothing, the disk would always be 100% in use. I tried updating all drivers, doing every update possible and have tried to optimise the pc using third party applications. However none of these measures have helped.

Discussing this issue with a friend, he suggested resetting to factory settings in order to fix these issues. However all my attempts have failed. 2 hours into the process of resetting, the following message shows up: "there was a problem resetting your pc. No changes were made."

Suspecting that the windows 10 files might be corrupted, I have made a bootable usb in order to use that for the reset. 

However, once I enter  the recovery restart, I can't find the option anywhere to use my usb drive for a reinstallation.

Other sources have prompted me to look for the UEFI settings, but I couldn't find those on my laptop either. Trying to enter my bios settings prompts me to fill in a bios password, which I don't know and can't seem to find anywhere.

Please help me,

With kind regards

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Forget about reseting.

Just do a clean installation of Windows 10.

HP Recommended

@Herculinho 

It's not unusual for a Win10 PC to show 100% disk usage as MS pushes out Windows Updates every week and since you are forced to install those, that can drive the disk usage up -- and there is nothing you can do about that until it's done.

As to the reset, your friend should NOT have told you to do that, as that will not only NOT speed up the PC, it will also set it back in time and then you will be forced into hours and hours of Windows Updates -- with the same problem, again.

Doing a clean install with the most current Win10 version will prevent having to do the Windows Updates, you have to be able to boot from USB media to do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I tried that, but somewhere along the installation I get that message: something went wrong resetting your pc. No changes were made. 

I tried making a bootable usb, but the computer doesn’t recognise it when I try to reinstall from it. 

HP Recommended

@Herculinho 

Resets are not reliable and I generally recommend AGAINST doing them -- as they often don't work and leave the PC in a corrupted state.

As to the USB boot, with it inserted, press F9 repeatedly to get the Boot Devices menu.  If the USB is not shown, the BIOS does not see it and will not boot from it.  In that case, you need to go into the BIOS settings to find and disable Secure Boot.  After that, pressing F9 should show the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.