Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to use the Hp recovery feature to reset my laptop back to the factory default OS windows 8, however when i try to launch into the recovery enviorment using the HP Recovery manager application i am faced with an error "Can’t open file: X:\sources\Recovery\tools\HP\Rita-tool\".

i did see the article here http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961 stating to download an update to fix this issue, but it did not prevent me from getting this error.

my thought is that the HP recovery applications is not truly installed on my OS, im thinking this because it does not show up in the programs and features section in the control pannel, however the files are still intact for it from when i transitioned to windows 10.

is it possible to re-install this application properly? i still have the recovery partition on my hard drive i just need a way to load it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check whether you have a Recovery Partition in your unit. You can confirm it from My Pc option where there will be  a different partition. If it is present, restart the unit and keep tapping on F11 key. This will take you to the Partition Recovery environment and you can reinstall your operating system. Ensure that you take a backup of all your files before reinstalling OS, because after reinstallation all the data in your hard drive will be lost.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check whether you have a Recovery Partition in your unit. You can confirm it from My Pc option where there will be  a different partition. If it is present, restart the unit and keep tapping on F11 key. This will take you to the Partition Recovery environment and you can reinstall your operating system. Ensure that you take a backup of all your files before reinstalling OS, because after reinstallation all the data in your hard drive will be lost.

HP Recommended

so oddly enough using f11 to access recovery rather than using the recovery manager application from within windows to boot into recovery did the trick. thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.