Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a brand-new HP Spectre x360 laptop, with Windows 10 (64-bit) pre-installed.  As I started to learn its basics and came into the Backup & Recovery aspects,  the HP Support Assistant (HPSA) led me to their website document which unfortunately I cannot upload as part of this post.  The title of the webpage says:

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

In that document (page 2), HP says that its Recovery Manager for pre-installed Windows10 systems has a bug and won’t work, so users were advised to install SP74123 (page 2).

I was about to implement SP74123 when HPSA alerted me that an update is waiting for my approval for an update to HP Recovery Manager.  I approved it, which after a successful installation registered as (on HPSA’s Action Log on my laptop):

Windows 10 Redstone2 Recovery Manager Installer - CPS

HP Recovery Manager - Inhouse solution

Softpaq Number;  SP81254   Version: 18.10Ap1    Size: 1.24MB

I am now hesitant to install SP74123 because I am left with a total lack of knowledge – and clear  understanding – as to which update should be done first, and what’s next and/or what’s applicable or not.   I have held off my urgent need to create:

1 – a Windows 10 image/backup

2 – a Windows 10 recovery disk (off line, away from the internal hard disk)

3 – a Windows 10 boot disk on a USB flash drive

Because reading the HP document and numerous other Microsoft blogs on Windows 10 Backup and Recovery has proven to be cryptic and confusing.

I understand that as far as Recovery – and only recovery of Windows 10 OS goes, I can do it the “HP way” or the “Microsoft Windows 10 way”.  And on the x360 laptop, the HP way seems better because HP has reserved a parition (D: ) of about 12 GB for rebuilding the factory version of Windows 10.  But for “peace of mind” I still need to create an offline copy of it in case the SSD fails/gets corrupted on the (D:) partition.

As far as recovery of other software, I will use the Windows 10 “restore point” approach, but there seems to be no clear documentation of how this is done and what the user must do.

As far as recovery of personal files is concerned, I just make copies to offline media.  It would be nice to use the Win10 “File History” approach, but my reading of the documentation so far (more like lack of good documentation) tells me it is an unstable system (prove me wrong please!)

I hope some expert(s) out there can shed some light on my lack of understanding of Windows 10 Backup and Recovery.   Any tips, pointers and/or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your attention.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

From my view, your approach is very good to protect your data in case of hardware failures or software hiccups. Fro Windows 10 Backup & Recovery, the following articles could be very helpfull:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/windows10/windows10_backup_and_recovery.htm

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17143/windows-10-back-up-your-files

https://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10%E2%80%99s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My sincrest thanks, HP Expert.

Should SP74123 be installed as I had described in the original post, vis-a-vis SP81254?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.