Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just bought my computer and it came with Windows 8.1 installed.  I reserved Windows 10 so I will receive the upgrade when that OS becomes available.  I want to create a recovery set, but if I use HP Recovery Manager now to create the set it will have Windows 8.1.  Can I wait a couple of weeks and then create recovery disks after I have Windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Recovery partiton contains windows 8.1 - It will create only recovery of windows 8.1 even if you install Windows 10 or 8 or 7.

The windows 10 copy that you will get is from microsoft and not HP and its free.

so if you ever need to re-install, you will have to install windows 8.1 and then perform the upgrade again.

You can also download the win10 ISO and burn it to a disc or create a bootable USB Flash Drive to install from and use your microsoft account to activate win10.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Recovery partiton contains windows 8.1 - It will create only recovery of windows 8.1 even if you install Windows 10 or 8 or 7.

The windows 10 copy that you will get is from microsoft and not HP and its free.

so if you ever need to re-install, you will have to install windows 8.1 and then perform the upgrade again.

You can also download the win10 ISO and burn it to a disc or create a bootable USB Flash Drive to install from and use your microsoft account to activate win10.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So why not create a method to recover the space used by HP Recovery?  I'm sure all devices you sell with Windows 10 will have some form of recovery, no?

HP Recommended

The same situation with me. So now I'm working on scenario to have one recovery disk that run windows 8.1, and also "image disk" containing whole content of partition where windows 10 is located. Secondly, i hope it can located in the same physical disk.

HP Recommended

@JohnMc64 wrote:

So why not create a method to recover the space used by HP Recovery?  I'm sure all devices you sell with Windows 10 will have some form of recovery, no?

When you buy a new PC, it contains a recovery partition and recovery manager that allows you to create recovery discs.

This has been available on all HP notebooks for a few years now.

Once you create your recovery discs you can use them at any time to install the factory shipped OS.

In some cases you can also call HP to get these shipped to you at no cost. This however, veries from region to region and not all would have this option available.

HP Recommended

When you buy a new PC, it contains a recovery partition and recovery manager that allows you to create recovery discs(discs with an "s" or more than one disc?) That is not what I see when I click "create recovery media" in HP Recovery Manager.  I get a warning saying this option allow to create ONLY one disc.

Something is not right with your post.

HP Recommended

I have my HP Pavillion that came with 8.1, and I did the 10 upgrade.  Thank you for reminding me that the backup with be for the 8.1 that was shipped with the computer.  Good to have been reminded of that fact.

However, I am never able to create the Recovery media with HP Recovery Manager.  It keep searching for media.  I've plugged a new WD My Passport Ultra into the USB.  There is plenty of storage space available.  It's new. 

Would you have some pointers on getting it to recognize my external?  Or is there a better way to create my Recovery Disks?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@TechAlex wrote:

When you buy a new PC, it contains a recovery partition and recovery manager that allows you to create recovery discs(discs with an "s" or more than one disc?) That is not what I see when I click "create recovery media" in HP Recovery Manager.  I get a warning saying this option allow to create ONLY one disc.

This is correct. HP Recovery Manager only allows creation of a single recovery media, either USB or optical disc. You can order additonal recovery media from HP, at personal expense -- $40-ish, as of Dec.2016. (You can also use misc. utilites to replicate your Recovery Manager-created media, and you can use alternate system imaging tools to create your own recoverable image of the  system's hard drive as factory-supplied. e.g. Macrium Reflect.)

@JohnMc64 wrote:

So why not create a method to recover the space used by HP Recovery? 

Being a brand new HP Spectre x360 user I can't speak for how things were back in August, but the version of HP Recovery Manager that shipped on our Spectre x360 at Thanksgiving included an option to remove HP's "Recovery" partition, extending the C: drive using the recovered 10GB or so of space.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.