Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased my Spectre x360 back in 2015,  and i have been using it for less than a year. So far, the laptop experience have been rather satisfying. Apart from experiencing minor glitches initially, the updates helped and the laptop worked just fine and smoothly. Though, the speakers stil have rattling sound when played loudly. 

Until recently, couple weeks back the laptop went haywire as i was doing my assignments. Without any signs to indicate any mechanical problems, the whole system just shut down. i couldn't switch it on, nor could i even charge it.

So i have called up the service centre, and since it is still under warranty, they have replaced the motherboard. On the bright side, I did not lose any datas or files. However, I have discovered my case wasn't the first to happen as there was one earlier case which was much severe. The laptop's motherboard literally burnt. The bottom part was all black and all data was lost

20161012_042038000_iOS.jpgThe following image was the default in my product that has occured recently. 

Hope to receive advise and any precautionary steps to avoid this mishap. Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ns23,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you to have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More  What is your precise model of Spectre x.360 do you have? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you have had the Spectre x 360 for less than a year when the system went haywire and shutdown. It would not power on after that, so you contacted HP and they replaced the motherboard for you as it was burnt out.  You would like to know if there are any precautions you can take to prevent this from reoccurring as you noticed someone else had a similar issue and lost all their data. Fortunately, you did not lose your data.  Here are two links that should help you with preventing overheating. 

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

HP Notebook PCs - Cleaning your Notebook PC

It is always wise to backup your data regularly to prevent loss. Any mechanical devices will fail at some point. If you backup your system, you will be protected from data loss. You may still lose a small amount , anything that has not been backed up at the time of the occurrence. You can backup your data  using  the Windows 10 Back up and restore your files or third party software. Here is a link to Data Backup and Recovery (from msdn.microsoft.com) that may help you set up a schedule.

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about; please click the "Accept as Solution" if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. You can say thanks easily by clicking the "Thumbs Up” below! :robotvery-happy:

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.