Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Product: HP Elitebook 8540w

Today, I installed HP Support assistant from the HP website to update my system, especially my video driver.

When I try updating my notebook, any of the updates available in the support assistant all fail the installation process.

Creating a restore point CHECK

Checking available disk space CHECK

Connecting to HP serverser CHECK

Dowloading CHECK

Installing FAIL (grey cross is shown)

The installation program starts, I see the monitor with the weels moving, and it takes quite a while, but every time the grey cross is shown and the update also won't disappear out of the assistant.

What can I do to install these updates? The HP support assistant was not installed originally on this laptop, which is why it has never been updated and these updates are definitely needed!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

You don't have to have the HP Support Assistant installed to update the drivers on your notebook. Go to the web support download web document for your notebook , download the updates that apply to your notebook's hardware and then install them.

Sometimes the reason that an HP support program will not install is because the HP Software framework is not installed. Download it, Install it and then try reinstallihg the HP Support Assistant.

Post your results here in your thread to share your experience whether it is positive or negative.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Most of the times HPSA fails to install updates, even when Software framework in up-to-date.

Why don't you do it manually. It'll take less time. Download all of them to a safe place, install one by one.

You can use them even when HPSA fails to run. Or in case when your driver malfunctions. This option is good, isn't it? 🙂

|___________________________|
HP Recommended
Thank you for your fast reply!

I had seen that website indeed, whoever I am not very familiar with updating drivers, so I liked the HP support assistent which shows and filters the necessary updates. If I won't get it working I will use the web document, thank you.

I have just installed the software framework, it seems to solve the problem in some of the cases, however installing the video driver update still doesn't work. This one I will now try and install manually.

Thank you for your reply! I hope Software Assistant will be improved in the future, since I like the program, but not if it doesn't work properly.
HP Recommended
Don't forget to hit KUDOS!!!!

HP Recommended
Sorry, but you actually repeated what erico had already said. That's why I gave him kudos. Why is giving kudos this so important to you?
HP Recommended
Just nothing. Leave it. I don't insist.

It's your final choice! I don't force to do that..... Got that, right!!!!

Forget above comment. Sorry.

HP Recommended
Okay, I still don't understand why you'd make such a fuss about it but okay.
If you'd at least explain why kuddos are so important to you..? I don't mind giving, if I'd understand?
HP Recommended

when someone assists you and you give them kudos not only does it look good on a resumae but it also lets hp know that they are knowledgable in resolveing problems. a happy customer is goodfor business. 

i read the comments and i didnt believe anyone made a fuss about the kudos. 

its kinda like when you have someone from your cable provider ask you to do a survey at the end of the call. those surveys are what tells the cable provider how well the agent handled the task given by the customer. i worked for a compant that required agents to have at least 4 surveys per week and they had to be 80% or above. if you did not meet your metrics then you loose your job. 

HP Recommended

I solved this by going to About and updating to the lastest Software of HP Support Assistant.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.