Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-1d21dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

First, some quick background: I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my four-year-old Pavilion G6 laptop. The Windows installer automatically installed all of the necessary drivers for the machine, including the HP Wireless Button Driver. After installing Windows, I tested the button and confirmed that it was working as expected, i.e. I could use it to turn airplane mode on and off.

Yesterday I noticed that the button is no longer working. I have Wi-Fi connectivity and I can turn airplane mode on and off in Windows settings, but I can't use the F12 button to do this. The LED on the button is working normally, however, changing color when I turn airplane mode on or off.

When I checked Device Manager, I was surprised to find the entire category of Human Interface Devices missing. I looked in the View menu and clicked on "Show hidden devices." This showed the Human Interface Devices category, with two entries: "HP Wireless Button Driver" and "HID-compliant wireless radio controls." Properties show that the device "HID-compliant wireless radio controls" is part of the HP Wireless Button Driver, and indicate that both devices are "not connected to the computer." This is strange, since the button is a built-in device.

I have tried a number of things to get the button working again, all to no avail. I did a system restore to the earliest possible date. I tried updating the HP Wireless Button Driver automatically in Device Manager (it always reports that the driver was updated, but the version number never changes). I tried uninstalling both devices in Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes (after that I could only get the devices back by doing a System Restore). I tried re-installing the driver from the executable on my laptop: C:\Program Files\HP\HP Wireless Button Driver\HPRadioMgr86.exe (this seemed to do nothing; there is no apparent response whatsoever when I run this file, even as an administrator). I tried installing the Windows 8.1 driver available on HP's support website, but that just gave me an error message ("Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDriver_32, location: C:\...\WirelessButtonDriver.inf" /installdrv" Then: "InstallShield Wizard Completed: The wizard was interrupted before HP Wireless Button Driver could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.").

Device Manager shows that the HP Wireless Button Driver I have installed is version 1.1.17.1, dated 4/11/2016, from manufacturer HP. Under the Events tab in the Properties for this device, the last event for the date I installed Windows is "Device install requested," and under Information it says "Device ACPI\HPQ6001\2&daba3ff&0 requires further installation."

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this, or is the button not compatible with Windows 10?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Please try the wireless button driver on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58720.exe

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion, but it did not work. I got the same error message as with the Windows 8.1 driver I tried previously, which was sp59835.exe. Whether I run the executable with admin rights or not, I get the following error:

"Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action InstallDriver_32, location: C:\...\WirelessButtonDriver.inf" /installdrv" Then: "InstallShield Wizard Completed: The wizard was interrupted before HP Wireless Button Driver could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

HP Recommended

Also, I tried searching for updates with the HP Support Assistant, but it said none were available.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.