Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-gw0000 Laptop PC (231Q9AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I recently updated the BIOS on my PC (i updated the BIOS yesterday)

Everything went fine but i noticed that now on startup it gives me a message saying "There is an issue with trusted platform module (TPM) data. Press [Y] - Reset whole TPM Press [N] - Boot with current TPM data Note: Bitlocker may require the recovery key to boot to windows."

The computer boots normally into windows if i press N but it doesn't let me shut down the computer with the shutdown option on windows (it says "Shutting down" and after the screen turns off it redirects me to the windows lockscreen) i need to force shutdown the PC with the power button

I can try to press Y when it prompts me to choose if i want to reset the TPM or not (maybe the TPM have the data from the old BIOS version) but... I never saw anything like this and I'm kinda scared that it can cause issues with windows or something else

Shreyank07_0-1715532038734.jpeg

I hope that someone can help me with this (is not a serious problem but is kinda annoying that it gives me that message and that i need to force shutdown the PC and it could be helpful if someone know how to solve this)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Shreyank07,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the BIOS update might have caused some compatibility issues with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on your HP 15. The TPM is a security feature that stores sensitive information such as encryption keys, and it's possible that the update disrupted its functioning or data.

Before proceeding, it's a good idea to ensure you have a backup of any important data on your system, just in case.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue.

• Reset TPM: Since you're prompted to reset the TPM data, you can try pressing [Y] when prompted during startup. This may resolve the issue if the problem is related to outdated TPM data from the previous BIOS version.
  • Update TPM firmware: Check if there are any updates available for the TPM firmware. Sometimes, updating the TPM firmware can resolve compatibility issues with newer BIOS versions.
  • Clear TPM: If resetting the TPM doesn't work, you can try clearing the TPM entirely. This will erase all TPM-related data, including encryption keys, and may require you to re-enable features like BitLocker and provide recovery keys. You can usually clear the TPM from within the BIOS settings.
  • Rollback BIOS: If the issue persists and you suspect it's directly related to the BIOS update, you might consider rolling back to the previous BIOS version. Most BIOS update utilities allow you to revert to an earlier version if needed. However, this should be done cautiously and only if you're comfortable with the process, as it carries some risks.

Regarding the issue with shutting down the computer, it's possible that it's related to the TPM issue. Once the TPM issue is resolved, it's likely that the shutdown problem will also be resolved. 

I hope one of these solutions helps you resolve the issue and gets your HP 15 running smoothly again!

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.