Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 17-by4000 (18B36AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi anyone. I am trying to fix my HP laptop 17-by4063cl. I removed the original hard drive with a new one.  I have been unable to recover the system. I  used a USB flash drive with a Windows 11 system downloaded from the Microsoft Recovery Key site but no matter if I boot from a USB flash drive or disc image. Any help I will appreciate.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @JG09,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

If you are having trouble recovering your HP laptop 17-by4063cl after replacing the hard drive and using a USB flash drive with Windows 11, follow these steps:

Step 1: Verify USB Installation Media

1. Confirm USB Bootable Drive:
    • Make sure your USB flash drive is properly created as a bootable drive with the Windows 11 installation files.
    • You can use tools like Rufus or the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the USB.

Step 2: Configure BIOS Settings

Enter BIOS Setup:

• Turn off your laptop and turn it back on. Press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

Check Boot Order:

• Navigate to the System Configuration tab.
  • Ensure the USB drive is set as the first boot device.

Disable Secure Boot:

• Navigate to the Security tab.
  • Disable Secure Boot if it is enabled.

Enable Legacy Support (if necessary):

• If you encounter issues with UEFI mode, you can enable Legacy Support in the BIOS settings.
  • Save changes and exit the BIOS.

Step 3: Install Windows 11

Boot from USB:

• Insert the bootable USB drive into your laptop.
  • Restart the laptop and press Esc to access the Startup Menu.
  • Press F9 to select the boot device.
  • Choose the USB drive from the list and press Enter.

Windows Setup:

• The Windows Setup should start. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 11.
  • When you reach the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, you may need to delete any existing partitions on the new hard drive to create a new partition for Windows.

Step 4: Troubleshoot Installation Issues

If you encounter specific errors during installation, here are a few common troubleshooting steps:

Convert the Disk to GPT:

• Windows 11 requires a GPT partition style for UEFI boot mode.
  • If the disk is MBR, you can convert it using Diskpart:
    • Press Shift + F10 during the Windows Setup to open Command Prompt.
    • Type diskpart and press Enter.
    • Type list disk and press Enter to display the disks.
    • Type select disk X (replace X with the disk number) and press Enter.
    • Type clean and press Enter to remove all partitions.
    • Type convert gpt and press Enter to convert the disk to GPT.
    • Type exit and press Enter to close Diskpart.
    • Close Command Prompt and continue with the installation.

Check for Driver Issues:

• If the installation fails due to missing drivers, download the necessary drivers from the HP support website using another device, and load them during the installation process.

Reset BIOS Settings:

• If you have made many changes to the BIOS settings, you can reset them to default and try again.

Step 5: Additional Support

If you are still unable to recover the system, consider the following options:

• Contact HP Support for further assistance.
  • Use HP's official recovery media if available, which can be ordered from the HP support website.

Following these steps should help you recover your HP laptop 17-by4063cl with the new hard drive and install Windows 11 successfully. If you encounter specific error messages or issues, providing those details can help in diagnosing and resolving the problem further.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @JG09,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

If you are having trouble recovering your HP laptop 17-by4063cl after replacing the hard drive and using a USB flash drive with Windows 11, follow these steps:

Step 1: Verify USB Installation Media

1. Confirm USB Bootable Drive:
    • Make sure your USB flash drive is properly created as a bootable drive with the Windows 11 installation files.
    • You can use tools like Rufus or the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the USB.

Step 2: Configure BIOS Settings

Enter BIOS Setup:

• Turn off your laptop and turn it back on. Press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.
  • Press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

Check Boot Order:

• Navigate to the System Configuration tab.
  • Ensure the USB drive is set as the first boot device.

Disable Secure Boot:

• Navigate to the Security tab.
  • Disable Secure Boot if it is enabled.

Enable Legacy Support (if necessary):

• If you encounter issues with UEFI mode, you can enable Legacy Support in the BIOS settings.
  • Save changes and exit the BIOS.

Step 3: Install Windows 11

Boot from USB:

• Insert the bootable USB drive into your laptop.
  • Restart the laptop and press Esc to access the Startup Menu.
  • Press F9 to select the boot device.
  • Choose the USB drive from the list and press Enter.

Windows Setup:

• The Windows Setup should start. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 11.
  • When you reach the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, you may need to delete any existing partitions on the new hard drive to create a new partition for Windows.

Step 4: Troubleshoot Installation Issues

If you encounter specific errors during installation, here are a few common troubleshooting steps:

Convert the Disk to GPT:

• Windows 11 requires a GPT partition style for UEFI boot mode.
  • If the disk is MBR, you can convert it using Diskpart:
    • Press Shift + F10 during the Windows Setup to open Command Prompt.
    • Type diskpart and press Enter.
    • Type list disk and press Enter to display the disks.
    • Type select disk X (replace X with the disk number) and press Enter.
    • Type clean and press Enter to remove all partitions.
    • Type convert gpt and press Enter to convert the disk to GPT.
    • Type exit and press Enter to close Diskpart.
    • Close Command Prompt and continue with the installation.

Check for Driver Issues:

• If the installation fails due to missing drivers, download the necessary drivers from the HP support website using another device, and load them during the installation process.

Reset BIOS Settings:

• If you have made many changes to the BIOS settings, you can reset them to default and try again.

Step 5: Additional Support

If you are still unable to recover the system, consider the following options:

• Contact HP Support for further assistance.
  • Use HP's official recovery media if available, which can be ordered from the HP support website.

Following these steps should help you recover your HP laptop 17-by4063cl with the new hard drive and install Windows 11 successfully. If you encounter specific error messages or issues, providing those details can help in diagnosing and resolving the problem further.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.