Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

The HDD died one morning for what seemed to be no reason. I sent the drive out and had most of my data recovered including the recovery partition. I purchased a used but good HDD as a replacement and am trying to restore the system. I have tried several ways but cannot get the system to recognize the recovery enviroment to start. I believe the original system was either Windows 8 or 8.1.

I have a Windows 8.1 full install dvd and tried installing Windows and doing a recovery that way but no luck. I know the HDD is good because I was able to install and use Windows 8.1.

I put the data from the recovery partition on a usb but could not get that to boot.

I used diskpart to create a system reserved partition and a Windows partition and put the recovery data on the active system reserved partition. The computer boots to recovery but with error code: 0xc000000f. A required device isn't connected and can't be accessed.

I found someone said to rename the winUCRD.wim file to winre.wim so I tried that on the usb and on the HDD. It looks like it is going to boot on the HDD but comes up with a message that says "You are not able to restore this system with the media".

I downloaded the Windows ADK and am thinking I might need to extract files from all the .wim files but there must be an easer way. Does anyone know how to get this data from the recovery partition to start the HP recovery environment? Do I need to extract the winre.wim file or something?

I am a Registered Master Plumber by trade and not a Computer Tech. I can use the command prompt and diskpart and do some things but I need detailed instructions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Recovery can be quirky at best and downright fail at worst. The scenario you are presenting is worst.Things like even a hard drive not being at least as large capacity as original will cause Recovery to stall. With all things equal I don't remember ever seeing anyone successful with using recovery files recovered from a failed hard drive. Not saying it has never been done, but have never seen it in 14 yrs here on HP forums.

Since you apparently never made Recovery Media I would recommend ordering a set from HP. $40 could save you a lot of stress.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-envy-touchsmart-17-j100-quad-edition-notebook-pc-series/65...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HP Recovery can be quirky at best and downright fail at worst. The scenario you are presenting is worst.Things like even a hard drive not being at least as large capacity as original will cause Recovery to stall. With all things equal I don't remember ever seeing anyone successful with using recovery files recovered from a failed hard drive. Not saying it has never been done, but have never seen it in 14 yrs here on HP forums.

Since you apparently never made Recovery Media I would recommend ordering a set from HP. $40 could save you a lot of stress.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-envy-touchsmart-17-j100-quad-edition-notebook-pc-series/65...

HP Recommended

Hi CherylG,

Thank you for the link to order the recovery disk. I had looked for that on the HP website but could not find it. I went ahead and ordered the disk.

Thanks again,

Keith

HP Recommended

You're very welcome! Recovery Media is listed on your Support page in the list of drivers & software-last enrty.

Get your full Model number or Product number from the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop (may be under battery)

Once you have the info, use the button at top of this page titled "Support", then click "Software and Drivers" from the menu. On the next page enter your Model Number. After entering  click 'Find my product' button. On the next page be sure correct OS is selected-if not Edit to change.A list will populate with drivers/software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.