Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 15t q300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop come with Windows 8.1 64bit operating and there is a recovery partition to factory reset. It is protected by the HP recovery manager. After i update to Windows 10, reset my PC (not factory reset) with the option delete everything, so now i have a Windows 10 origin with no bloatware, and i can see everything in the Recovery partition, how can i get HP Recovery manager back to protect the Recovery partition?

I don't want to Factory reset because there so many bloatware came with my laptop, I just want to get HP recovery manager back, i can't find HP recovery manager for Windows 10 in HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, there is one for Windows 8.1 but i can't install it.

To sum up, please update the HP Recovery Manager for Windows 10 in the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads or give me a link to get it.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Your request is impossible to fulfill.

HP ships Recovery Manager only for the version of Windows installed on your PC at the factory.

You will have to use Microsoft's Reset option to reimage your PC.

You can use the Backup and Recovery option in Control panel to create a system image and a repair disc (CD or DVD).

You can also go to this site to download the Win 10 .ISO which can be used to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment.

Win RE will give you restore, reimage, and other troubleshooting options when you cannot boot to Win 10.

The HP Win 8.1 recovery partition can be eliminated.

TomP

HP Recommended

When you upgraded to Win10, the upgrade tool  corrupted the Recovery partition, so even if you DID get an updated version of the HP recovery tool, it would not work.

If you want a way to be able to restore your PC to its current working state, then you should consider using a third-party imaging/restoration tool known as Macrium Reflect:

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have done the same brother. When i upgraded my windows 8.1 to 10, after upgrading, i reset my pc. and now, boom. The recovery partition shows it's files. is it possible to recover the factory windows 8.1, by pressing F11 and recovering from their. Plz reply

HP Recommended

@Cloudjumper265 wrote:

1. My laptop come with Windows 8.1 64bit operating and there is a recovery partition to factory reset. It is protected by the HP recovery manager. After i update to Windows 10, reset my PC (not factory reset) with the option delete everything, so now i have a Windows 10 origin with no bloatware, and i can see everything in the Recovery partition, how can i get HP Recovery manager back to protect the Recovery partition?

2. I don't want to Factory reset because there so many bloatware came with my laptop, I just want to get HP recovery manager back, i can't find HP recovery manager for Windows 10 in HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, there is one for Windows 8.1 but i can't install it.

3. To sum up, please update the HP Recovery Manager for Windows 10 in the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads or give me a link to get it.

1. Recovery manager only work with the Factory Installed O/S that came with it not with a upgraded O/S that you installed. That is between you and Microsoft to resolve the problem here.

2. Factory Reset is all we the HP user forum can recommend to you. You can always uninstall those software after the reset to factory install. That isn't hard to do.

3. This will not happen. Win10 was a Microsoft update that you choose it wasn't HP doing here. If you want drivers for your laptop you can always look at the HP driver page for your model to find the drivers. This isn't hard to do a little homework goes along way to find your drivers.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended
Has HP
HP Recommended
Has HP published instructions as to how its users who purchased a pre-Windows 10 PC, then upgraded to Windows 10 (a step that HP helped facilitate) can get back to working order after, for example, the hard drive has to be replaced? Where can I find these instructions?

I'm guessing the only way is to use the recovery discs to get back to the original Windows 8 because we need the drivers to access the internet and get more required files from HP. Then we have to upgrade again to Windows 10. That's a lot more time required than if HP provided a way to create new Windows 10 recovery disks (which include the necessary drivers specific to the computer).

Am I misunderstanding the situation?

Thank you in advance for any insights to the situation that you can provide.
HP Recommended

sf-gjm

Unfortunately, yes, you are misunderstanding the situation.

Creating recovery media requires a lot more than just an app to create the media; it also requires the files needed to create the recovery image.,

Those files come inside the Recovery partition on pre-installed HP PCs, but those are strictly for the OS version that comes preloaded on that PC because the files are version-specific.

To create new recovery media for a PC that you upgraded to Win10, HP would have to provide new image files.  Those files are several GB in size, not practical for downloading, even if HP did make them available -- which they do not.

An alternative, which actually is FREE, is to use a third-party program known  as Macrium Reflect to create your own recovery media.  That gives you an alternate way to recover your PC.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thank you for the information that you provided but i wasn't asking specifically about recovery manager. You seem to be saying the steps i outlined aren't correct without any mention of why they'd fail...and that's the info i truly need.

It sounds like Macrium is great and useful. However, it's too late to help fix my current situation.

My question was/is:
Has HP published instructions as to how its users who purchased a pre-Windows 10 PC, then upgraded to Windows 10 **(a step that HP helped facilitate)** can get back to working order after, for example, the hard drive has to be replaced? Where can I find these instruction?

Hoping someone knows and can help....thanks.
HP Recommended

Today I stumbled a page on this site that seems to address your issue:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-n000-Notebook-PC-(Touch)/7777355/model/8680839/docume....

Here is some text from that page:

Recovery manager stops working

Unless your computer came from the factory with Windows 10, Recovery Manager must be downloaded and installed to successfully perform a system recovery using HP Recovery Manager.
To download and install the new Recovery Manager software, use one of the following HP software updates:
If you are not sure which download is needed for your computer, please return to the top of the page and enter your serial number or product name in the search bar to find the appropriate product page.
 note:
When you click the link, the file is downloaded using your Internet browser download capabilities.

I hope I havent misunderstood your issue and that this information is useful. (I'm no expert on these things and the information seems to contradict what users tpetras, WAWood, and PeerOne confidently stated so please be cautious about proceeding with this info.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.