Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 TS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I permanently disable the synaptics touchpad on an HP Pavilion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry it didn't work for you.  We just let the tech take over the computer and could watch what he was doing.  At one time we could see thelong  URL I provided was on the scrn twice.  Not being sure if WE were supposed to do something or not I asked him.  He said he was going to change something in the BIOS.  All I know is that whatever he actually did at his end on our computer worked. . . and I'm sooooooo glad!

Things used to be so easy!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Well,right click on Windows Start Menu icon, click on device manager,click on mice and other pointing devices and then disable synaptics touchpad driver.You can enable it the same way.

HP Recommended

I have tried th suggested method to turn off synaptic pad.  The problem is when you log in next time,

the touchpad is working again.

How do you PERMANENTLY disablethe touch pad?  I'm using Windows 10, IE 10.

HP Recommended

Wich HP Pavilion is yours?

Usually HP notebooks have this function at the keyboard.

HP Recommended

Try uninstalling the driver instead of disabling it in the device manager.That will most likely make the touchpad useless until the driver is reinstalled manually.

HP Recommended

I tried uninstalling the driver but that did not help. Then I had to reinstall it  so I  could temporarily suspend the touchpad. Woe is me!

HP Recommended

Ok it seems like HP has a page regarding this, Here see this : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 04/27/2017)

Edit: Scroll down and see disabling the clickpad.

HP Recommended

Been there, done that!  Very frustrating.

Just got off of a very lengthy chat with HP abt the issue.  The tech tried several things that didn't work but FINALLY downloaded a new Synaptics driver and NO MORE TOUCHPAD after restart!  I suggested that they put that info on their support site for others to use.

Think this is the URL he was using:  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71984.exe

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks  for the solution.  I did the install and rebooted. However, I still had to manually disable the touchpad which  I was having  to do anyway. If there is no other viable solution, then I'll keep disabling  the touchpad each time I log on. 

Perhaps it was a problem with  the upgrade to Windows  10.

Tom Salagaj

HP Recommended

Sorry it didn't work for you.  We just let the tech take over the computer and could watch what he was doing.  At one time we could see thelong  URL I provided was on the scrn twice.  Not being sure if WE were supposed to do something or not I asked him.  He said he was going to change something in the BIOS.  All I know is that whatever he actually did at his end on our computer worked. . . and I'm sooooooo glad!

Things used to be so easy!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.