Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hp Pavilion Dv7 Notebook Pc, With OS! Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Error message:-  Hard Disk 1 (301) - it sound like there could be a malware

Virus on it. Got AVG Internet Security 2012 on the notebook. I don't know

The guys at the Shop where I bought it said I must not update the notebook's

software & drivers to much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hard Disk 1 (301) is a hard drive failure. It means that the hard drive needs to be replaced.

You'll need to get a new hard drive and install it, then you'll need to reinstall the Windows operating system using the HP Recovery Media. If you're in warranty, HP will send you the parts per your warranty terms.

If you're out of warranty, you'll need to purchase a replacement hard drive and then call HP to order the HP Recovery Media for your specific notebook.

The number for US support is 1-800-474-6836.

I will be glad to answer any additional questions or provide more details if you'd like to replace it yourself. It's not too difficult.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hard Disk 1 (301) is a hard drive failure. It means that the hard drive needs to be replaced.

You'll need to get a new hard drive and install it, then you'll need to reinstall the Windows operating system using the HP Recovery Media. If you're in warranty, HP will send you the parts per your warranty terms.

If you're out of warranty, you'll need to purchase a replacement hard drive and then call HP to order the HP Recovery Media for your specific notebook.

The number for US support is 1-800-474-6836.

I will be glad to answer any additional questions or provide more details if you'd like to replace it yourself. It's not too difficult.
HP Recommended

The hard disc 301 error is an indication that your hard drive is about to fail. Please backup all of your important data, then run the hard drive tests from the boot screen. You can also download a hard drive diagnostics program that will test the drive "in depth" and return a report. Search the drive manufacturer's website for this software. Please report back here if you have any further questions.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

My laptop is still under warranty.  Will HP send me a new one?  Live in a small rural community.  

HP Recommended

I have an HP Notebook - 15158nr (Energy Star) and receive the Hard Disk 1 <301> error.  The HP System quick test failure ID:  GTVL5A-85G88P-XD7X6J-60FE03.  

I use Windows 10.

My laptop is 3 months old and is under warranty.  Attempting to call the HP phone number only puts me in a message loop.  How do I obtain a new hard drive under warranty???

The suport website does not solve my issue either.  Thanks in advance.  

HP Recommended

@Nells-1

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the test you performed on the hard drive failed with the aforementioned Failure ID,

I deciphered the code and it represents the following error: Hard Disk 1 SMART Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure

It means the hard drive hasn't failed completely, however, is half way there and requires a replacement,

Since you found it hard to navigate on the support site, I've found a link that provides you the numbers you need, just select your country/region: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Nells-1

Thank you for posting,

If your computer is under HP warranty, there would be no charges for the repair, however, a minor charge for the shipping may have to be paid by you depending on the kind of warranty you have, nevertheless i would urge you to give them a call and confirm the details as they should be able to give you all the information you need related to getting it repaired.

Keep me posted

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks after some time I was able to find the U.S. 1-800-227-8164 number.  There were language problems with the 2nd fellow from India, however, I am being sent a shipping box  to WA State and will then need to send it off to Indiana for repair/replacement of the hard drive.  I have no idea why HP just didn't send me a new hard drive so that I could have found a more local technician of their choice to replace it.  I presume I'll now have to wait  2-3 weeks minimum to get it back or perhaps longer.   I received a Fed X tracking number for the future shipping transaction.   I await the packing/shipping box.  

The first technician was keen to sell me Macafee security software which U did not find amusing.   Told him I would consider it after my laptop was in working order.   He likely gets a commission if he makes a sale.  

I appreciate the quick reply on this board to get me headed in the right direction.  

HP could do much to streamline their support.  I wasted a couple of days trying to  find a number to talk to someone.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.