Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

control panel, uninstall a program - and i dont have a HP Support Assistant to uninstall ?  is that what you meant?  (HP Everything else - but, no HIP Support Assistant listed in programs to uninstall...

HP Recommended

Hey darkhorse123-- I think I solved the problem! The Support Assistant Window for me would pop up a couple of minutes after I booted up. My first thought was that was because Support Assistant was set up as a delayed start-up service, but no luck. However, today after doing more research on the file, I ran across a random post -- nothing to do with HP -- but which seems to have targeted the cause--the Task Scheduler.

I checked my Task Scheduler and I noticed that the HP Support Assistant Quick Start task was set to run three minutes after I booted the laptop. Coincidence with the pop-up window timing? Not likely! I changed the setting I am hopeful it worked.

To change the Task Scheduler settings, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler. Open the left side items (click on the arrow next to the Task Scheduler Library and the HP folder, then click on the Support Assistant folder). All the tasks related to Support Assistant should open on the top right-hand side of the screen. [If you cannot see the Triggers to each, click on each and then the Trigger tab in the lower window.] Right click on each that has a trigger you want to change (including any tasks that start at boot…), then click on "Properties." Click on the “Triggers” tab. Toward the bottom of the tab will be an "Edit" button. Click and change the “Begin task” setting to whatever suits you. There is no "Never" setting, so if you just want to run the task manually, uncheck the “Enabled” button at the bottom of the window.

I'm guessing that turning off the HP Support Assistant service simply prevents it from starting on its own--and apparently it's not the Assistant that opens the pop-up window, it's the Task Scheduler running Quick Start, which is why we were having so much trouble. I have rebooted my laptop twice now and no pop-up windows either time! I am cautiously optimistic…. 

Post whether this solution works for you. If so, I'll mark it solved. Good luck--I'm pulling for you.

HP Recommended

Woohoo!  I believe that worked.  Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

All right!!

---------

To all those who are Kudos are appreciated if this solution helped you out, feel free to give kudos!

HP Recommended

Thanks drbb01 for you directions.  I have just disabled HP Support Assistant from loading on boot per your directions.  I hope this works.

Thanks,

Lumencandle

HP Recommended

Lumencandle-- I hope it worked! I've had no problems since I followed the procedure.

HP Recommended

Your procedure worked about 1/2 for my new HP Pavilion.  I had to go back and disable the Opt In support assistant as well.  The final thing that eleminated my problem was to change both end dates from 2040 or something to the day I was doing the modifications.  So far that has done the trick.  Sure hope it stays fixed.  Support Assistant still works as well.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Lumencandle

HP Recommended
Wouldn't you know it as soon as I posted my results and went back to the desktop the blasted Support Assistant popup came back. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.
Lumencandle
HP Recommended

Sorry for the report just given.  I forgot, yesterday I had to do a restore back to Monday this week and I did not check to see if I had disabled and changed the date to a good date.  I just redid the date and disabled Opt In Support Assistant in the Task mgr.  and I'm sure all will be ok now.  Sorry I jumped the gun and reported I still had an issue.  I will confirm all is well in a couple of days.

Lumencandle

HP Recommended

The final fix of deleting the expiration date did finally cure all.  Everything is just fine now.

Sorry for the oops earlier.  Great Fix!

Thanks again,

Lumencandle

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.