Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to boot from a USB stick on the HP Stream 13. The stick boots fine on 4 other computers and I've used the stick many many times in the past. With this POS computer, after setting to boot USB in BIOS, it flashes once on the stick and proceeds to boot from the hard drive. The ONLY way to boot from the USB is to set Legacy mode in the BIOS. But then, the program sees NO operating system! So, it's one or the other!! I need help to boot from the USB stick AND see the O/S after that. Very frustrating HP! Help...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Hi,

What is there in the USB?

If it is Windows installation media, could you make UEFI bootable USB and try again with secure boot disabled.

Like in option 2 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

It indeed looks like a UEFI boot USB drive is what is necessary.  I went through a similar problem a year and a half ago when I first got the HP Stream.  None of my USB sticks would boot with this laptop, but they worked on my other computers.  In my case neither Linux by itself nor the various multiboot USB creators would boot.

So just to get the USB to be recognized I set the following in BIOS:

1) Legacy Support = Enabled.

2) Secure Boot = Disabled

3) Boot Order = USB First

Various things I discovered:

1) I created a multiboot USB stick with a program called YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer ) with various live versions of various Linuxes, as well as Windows 7, Hirens Boot CD, etc.  It worked with all my other computers, but with the the HP Stream the only Linux operating system that would boot was Ubuntu and its variants (Lubuntu, Linux Mint, Etc.).  Now I see that there is a beta version of a special" UEFI" YUMI, so eventually I will try it to see if I can load any live Linux and fix the problem.

2) I decided later that I wanted to install Linux Mint directly on the USB as a full install rather than a live version.  I used a program from the same website called UUI (Universal USB Installer) that allows you to install a single OS.

3) To get Clonezilla Linux to boot I had to install it using a program called Tuxboot, which was recommended by the developer of Clonezilla.  Something new appeared in the Windows 10 boot menu (Esc >  F9 Boot Device Options).

Using other methods the following was the only option available and it didn't work:

USB Hard Drive - SanDisk

But with Tuxboot there was now a second option which worked:

USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - Sandisk

So, then the light came on that it is a UEFI issue.

In all these cases Windows 10 on the laptop's drive (it is actually an IC chip) starts up properly when not choosing the USB stick.

HP Recommended

Great tip, thanks!

I was leery of changing the BIOS Legacy Support on a HP Stream Notebook 13-c010nr from default setting <Disabled> to <Enabled> when noticing HP alert "This step may make this PC unbootable" so I thought it may be helpful to elaborate on the steps to get a YUMI v2.0.4.9-created MULTIBOOT USB 2.0 16GB memory stick to boot a Lubuntu 17.04 64-bit Desktop:

Type the passcode (4 digits) HP supplies and press ENTER. Legacy Support is now <Enabled> in BIOS.

Once the HP Stream 13 restarts an ESC... option appears in bottom left corner of the screen.

Press ESC then F9 to open BOOT MANAGER, Boot Options Menu

OS boot manager (UEFI)  - Windows Boot Manager (MBG4GC)

Boot from EFI File

Notebook Hard Drive - MBG4GC

USB Hard Drive -                       USB DISK 2.0

UP and DOWN arrows to change options. ESC to quit.

I selected the last line, USB DISK 2.0, and pressed Enter. This will launch the YUMI options to select Lubuntu.

As already stated in this thread, the original Windows 10 OS remains intact on this PC running any live Linux distro.

HP Recommended
I just tried YUMI UEFI beta, and it fixes this problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.