Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

This post pertains to HP Notebook computers.

Hello, I'm going to make a quick post on how to do a Hard Reset. A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory which may restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

Performing a hard or forced reset may fix the following conditions:

• Windows stops responding
  • Computer stops before Windows loads (no boot, blinking cursor on a black display, or errors relating to OS not found or missing drive)
  • Display suddenly goes blank and stays blank
  • Software freezes
  • Keyboard stops responding
  • The computer does not return from sleep or suspend mode
  • An external device stops responding (turn off power to the device in addition to performing the steps in this document)

When performing a hard reset, you must disconnect or remove all peripheral devices. You should start and test the computer by itself, and then reconnect one peripheral device at a time. To resolve the start up or operational problem, you should run the HP Support Assistant, or manually install all updated drivers from Microsoft and HP.

To perform a hard reset, use the following steps:

To perform a hard reset, use the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected devices: USB storage devices, external displays, printers, etc.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook computer.
  5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer; but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally , and then press the enter key.
  10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

Now, if your computer has a sealed non-removable battery, these steps will not work. Instead, refer to Use a Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues on Notebook with a Sealed Non-Removable B... .

I hope this resolves any issue you may having occurring with your notebook. 

THX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope this is helpful.

THX

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I hope this is helpful.

THX

HP Recommended

"A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory which may restore functionality"

Before I try this, I need to be clear about what is erased with a hard or forced reset -

Is it "all information in the computer's memory" or only the information in the computer's memory that is involved in restoring functionality?

HP Recommended
What if the battery is internal & can't be removed?
HP Recommended

Does Hard Reset deletes data of other drives too (other than c drive)?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.