Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

A friend recently brought me their Pavilion g6 as it was running very slowly. I can confirm that it runs about as fast as an opiate infused sloth!

When I checked the Disk usage via Task Manager I noticed that it rarely falls below 70% and is regularly maxed out at 100% even when the machine is idle and not connected to any network.

That problem is something I've seen now on several machines - all running Windows 10. I think that problem is compounded by the fact that the specs of the Pavilion g6 would struggle to keep up, even with a clean and properly functional Windows 10 install. (the machine in question was updated via Microsoft's automated, free upgrade offer).

My intention is to reinstall Windows 7 for my friend. That's what the laptop originally shipped with and it ran perfectly well prior to the Windows 10 upgrade.

Unfortunately the upgrade renders the recovery partition a moot point. Furthermore, as it has been a lot more than 10 days since the upgrade - rolling back is not an option.

When I tried to download an ISO from Microsoft, I was prompted with the following message:

"Error

The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

Hence I am now writing in the HP forum in the hopes of finding an answer to my inherited woes. Could this problem be compounded by the SLP system that locks a key into the BIOS of the machine?

If I use another OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64 disc, will Microsoft allow me to verify via the OA KEY from the service tag on the bottom, or will I be denied as it will be a different key to the one stored by the SLP system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated—Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Is there a 25 character W7 product key sticker on the notebooks case?

If so, that is all you need.

There is no product key encrypted in the BIOS for PC's that came with W7.

Microsoft required OEM's to encrypt the product key in the BIOS starting with all PC's that came with W8 and newer.

You may be able to order recovery disks for the specific model PC you have if you are located in the USA.

If you want to use a W7 windows disk you may have lying around, that will also work just fine with the product key on the sticker as long as it is the same version (Home Premium installation disk/Home Premium Windows Key).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home Premium/Pro (as applicable) SP1 or the (Retail version, but the OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Home Premium/Pro (as applicable) SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

You can use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

HP Recommended

There's no OEM HP recovery image available? I'm very concerned about the service tag on the bottom of the Pavilion being rejected due to the SLP key that is likely burned into the BIOS. I can't afford to bork his work machine.

People keep telling me I can copy the iso file from my windows disc, but I see no iso file on my OEM disc. Do you mean I should create an ISO of the whole disc? Won't that still run me into problems if the OEM copy I have is designed for one time activation (it's my own disc, licensed on my own computer).

If I somehow make an ISO from my disc, will I have to somehow extract / remove the key before making the ISO?

HP Recommended

Is there a 25 character W7 product key sticker on the notebooks case?

If so, that is all you need.

There is no product key encrypted in the BIOS for PC's that came with W7.

Microsoft required OEM's to encrypt the product key in the BIOS starting with all PC's that came with W8 and newer.

You may be able to order recovery disks for the specific model PC you have if you are located in the USA.

If you want to use a W7 windows disk you may have lying around, that will also work just fine with the product key on the sticker as long as it is the same version (Home Premium installation disk/Home Premium Windows Key).

HP Recommended

OK that's cool - thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.