Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000 LAPTOP
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

My computer was hacked October 30 2015. i believe it happened when i opened an email to upgrade to windows 10. At that time my computer was turned into a server and a network manager took over. Whilst doing so this person had deleted my recovery partition. Its taken almost a year to figure this out due to the fact i do not know a **bleep** thing about computers. So here is my question: How do i get the recovery disk? I cant find it anywhere on HP website.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @millerlightning,

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂 Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More  What is your precise model of HP 2000 notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I understand that due to someone hacking your computer, you need to do a recovery, but they deleted your recovery manager and you did not create recovery media. You have checked the HP website but could not locate an option to purchase recovery disk. As you were running Windows 10 previously it will be registered with Microsoft. You can download the Windows 10  media creation tool to load Windows 10 on a USB key. You can then use that to install Windows 10. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool . Once that has been accomplished, do all your Windows updates and download and install the HP Support Assistant . Now run the HP Support Assistant to aid with any HP updates.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @millerlightning,

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂 Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More  What is your precise model of HP 2000 notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I understand that due to someone hacking your computer, you need to do a recovery, but they deleted your recovery manager and you did not create recovery media. You have checked the HP website but could not locate an option to purchase recovery disk. As you were running Windows 10 previously it will be registered with Microsoft. You can download the Windows 10  media creation tool to load Windows 10 on a USB key. You can then use that to install Windows 10. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool . Once that has been accomplished, do all your Windows updates and download and install the HP Support Assistant . Now run the HP Support Assistant to aid with any HP updates.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi @millerlightening,

Thank you for your response. If you do not want to reinstall Windows 10 but go back to the original factory settings. you will need a recovery kit. To obtain one please Contact HP Support . Fill out the online form and follow the prompt. 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Ok thanks for the option. You've been real helpful. Kudos
HP Recommended

Hi @millerlightning,

I am glad I was able to help Thank you for the Kudos! 🙂 

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon to give me kudos.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.