Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP notebook - V4N27EA,
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can not navigate through the Bios. I can open the Bios but I can not choose items with the arrow keys. I can for example not change the boot sequence and so on. The Bios version on my laptop is F.21.  I have already contacted the HP service department, but it is not able to help me. Wit other words, I can not scroll through the Bios with the arrow keys. It seems as if the Bios is locked up.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @sashalady,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having difficulty accessing bios on your HP laptop. Don't worry I'll help you out, However, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Was there any update/reset interrupted recently?

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting this on HP Forums?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the PC:

* If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

* If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

* With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

* With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

* Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update

For more details: Click here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As mentioned before, I can not navigage through the bios with the arrow keys. The bios is accessible, but as soon as the bios is opened, I can not choose any items by means of the arrow keys. It seems as if the bios is locked up with regard to the arrow keys. It is not possible to scroll through the bios. I have the most recent bios version installed with succes, but despite of this I can not choose an item in the bios.  I have contacted the HP service department but with no success. Maybe there is somegthing wrong with the  CMOS battery. I don't know. Is there anyone who has had the same problem?

HP Recommended

Hi @sashalady1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are having issues navigating the bios screen using the arrow keys, so I had provided the steps which should help you to resolve this issue. Please do perform the steps I had suggested as well and get back to me with the results for further assistance.

Alternatively, you could also try connecting an external keyboard and check if that helps.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.