Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Today , i bought laptop HP Probook 440 G3 with Skylake CPU inside.

I inserted the Windows 7 disc , then used USB stick but i still couldn't see any drive for installing.

I only have Windows 7 key  , and I just want to use windows 7 (  I used to use Win 7 and most of my special softwares can run smoothly on Windows 7 )

How can I install windows 7 on Skylake CPU ?

Thank you so much.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Press the ESC key when the HP logo appears during boot up, enter the bios then navigate to "bios options" then look for "apply factory defaults/settings" your optical drive should work again.

HP Recommended

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

The screen shots below are from a consumer HP 15t-j100 notebook computer... the options and configuration screens on your business class computer may differ.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

Sec Boot Legacy Sup.jpg

After saving the changes, the computer may request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

Confirm Change.jpg

If are you are installing Windows 7 from a USB stick and see a "Load Driver - a required CD/DVD drive device is missing" message, this is because "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot" is set to "Enabled". This must be set to "Auto", if this option exists. Alternately, using a USB2.0 port may eliminate this issue.

USB3 setting.jpg

Additionally, as the factory hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you must boot from a UEFI boot source to install Windows on a GPT partitioned disk. Turn on or reboot the computer and tap "F9" or "ESC" and then "F9" when prompted. Highlight the UEFI boot source you are using and press "ENTER".

F9 Boot Menu.jpg

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best installation experience. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Please note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

From the top...

Download the Intel f6flpy-x64.zip driver and extract the zip file to a seperate USB stick

1)  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

2)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F10" key.

3)  *may be different* Navigate the BIOS to "System Configuration", "USB 3.0 Config in Pre-OS" and set to "Auto".

4)  *may be different* Navigate the BIOS to  "System Configuration", "Boot Options" and set "Secure Boot" to "Disabled" and set "Legacy Support" to "Enabled".

5)  Press "F10" and click "YES" to "Exit Saving Changes"

6)  Computer should restart and display "Operating System Boot Mode Change"... type the four digit code and press "ENTER".

7)  Let the current Windows boot-up and place the Windows 7 SP1 media in the DVD drive or USB port, then log-off / shutdown.

😎  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

9)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F9" key and then select the correct UEFI boot source (Internal CD/DVD drive, USB CD/DVD drive, USB Flash drive, etc.)... Press any key to boot CD/DVD, if prompted.

10)  Select "Language", "Time / Currency", and "Keyboard" settings and then click "Next"

11)  Click "Install Now"... check "Accept Terms" and click "Next". Click "Custom (Advanced)". 

12)  You may need to supply Intel SATA/RAID drivers at this time...  insert the USB stick with the Intel "f6floppy" drivers.

13)  Follow all prompts and answer as needed. Enter Windows 7 key when requested.

Please see the HP ProBook 440 G3 Notebook PC - Drivers and software page for Windows 7 drivers. Please post (just the text) the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for all remaining missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below and we can direct you to the proper drivers;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I always get the "Load Driver - a required CD/DVD drive device is missing" message as well.  I have an HP 440 G3 and unfortunately can not find the "USB 3.0 configuration" in the Bios set up - or any settings for USB.  Any suggestions what to do?  Thank you for your help in advance

HP Recommended

I got my new 440 G3 last Friday with pre-configured HDD and it run OK.  Then I ordered one SSD to upgrade and the nightmare started.

I have been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite for a long time.  So I user HDM to do:

1. Disk Copy - SSD does not boot

2. Create Back Up from HDD and then Restore to SDD - SSD does not boot

Calling support for help, then I was told to do a CLEAN installation.  I don't get it why there is no way to easily resotre the backup to a new drive, if one day the drive failed and that means there is no way to quickly restore to a new drive which is not the same as the old one.

All right, to install Windows 7 became the only choice.  Booting up from the installation DVD or even a bootable USB stick, it gives a message all the time exactly the same as yours.  I have struggled since last Saturday.

I used to keep backups on two different external storages reduce the risk and hassles if any drive failure happens.  However, if to recover the drive becomes a nightmare, then I should really evalute the choice of 440 G3  Never experienced the similar hassles with Asus and Acer NB's, and even upgrade my Mac Book Pro.

Sigh...

HP Recommended

The problem was that I could not get the driver for the USB ports for WIN7 onto the USB distribution so I solved with a detour:

1. got a Linux USB distribution and used that to copy the 3.0 USB -driver from Intel to the hard disk. 
  2. rebooted with the USB WIN7 installation image
  3. then got the 3.0 USB driver from the hard disk when prompted to do so

That worked.  The driver Intel f6flpy-x64.zip did not help in my case.  I used USB_3.0_Win7_64_4.0.4.51.zip

HP Recommended

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset, therefore normal DVD and USB Windows 7 installs will not work on 6th generation Intel chipsets. You have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 ISO using this Intel utility; 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

After running this utility and directing it to your Windows 7 ISO, you should be able to install Windows.

You may also need to provide the below driver for Windows to see the hard drive... Extract the files onto another usb flash drive without any folders;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/In​tel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Drive...

You may need to install the below driver to make the USB ports usable in Windows;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/US​B-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Contro...

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
I resolved my problem in using Sandisk Ultra II SSD. After copying HDD to SSD, the system reports no boot device, but in BIOS setup, SSD was detected.

HP hotline said I need a clean installation, so I am in this thread.

My problem has nothing to do with installation of Windows 7. It is simply an incompatible issue between Sandisk Ultra II and 440 G3, both with the latest firmware. I took another SSD from my Acer and installed it in 440, it booted up I to Windows 10 right away. I then installed Sandisk in Acer, and it also booted up. After I restore the right backups to both SSD, now all run well.

As to the installation of Windows 7, I never made it through to update the USB 3.0 support the the USB installation stick. A more easy way would to save the content of the latest USB and AHCIC drivers to a location, I tried to save them in a folder that could be accessed during the installation.

During the installation, first I directed to tge x64 folder under USB 3, and then I rescanned to install the base hub. Soon been asked again, I browsed to AHCIC folder, then it should proceed.

But I did not install Windows 7 as I have backup ready for restore.

Good luck to all~
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.