Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV7t-7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop, a HP Pavillion DV7t-7000 crashed for now apparent reason.  I have tried everything, Including a hard reboot, and nothing has helped.  I am getting a blank screen (the computer tried a system bios repair but failed).  The led indicators are blinking in a two blink series now.  Can someone tell me what might be wrong and give me an idea of the cost for repair (a little, a lot, junk it and forget it?).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HawkScarbrough

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I have two HP laptops, both about 5 years old, and I've had to replace the drives in both. Desktop drives tend to last longer, but getting 7 years out of a drive is about all you can expect.

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If that is not possible, as is the case where the BIOS is too old to offer that function, then do the following:
1) When rebooting the PC, keep pressing F2 repeatedly. That should eventually bring up a Diagnostics menu.
2) Select the option to test the hard drive.

If the diagnostics fail, your drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Please post back with the results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HawkScarbrough

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I have two HP laptops, both about 5 years old, and I've had to replace the drives in both. Desktop drives tend to last longer, but getting 7 years out of a drive is about all you can expect.

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If that is not possible, as is the case where the BIOS is too old to offer that function, then do the following:
1) When rebooting the PC, keep pressing F2 repeatedly. That should eventually bring up a Diagnostics menu.
2) Select the option to test the hard drive.

If the diagnostics fail, your drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Please post back with the results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.