Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion du7 2215
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop which had windows 10 installed has stopped working and when switched on says "Hard Disk Test" Failed - "Boot device not found" (3FO) - Please visit : www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup - I have been to your site and tried following instructions and video but the laptop will not show the list as in the webpage/video - can you please help me ? Mike.  (the memory tests 100% ok)
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hi,

Tapping f2 key as soon as you power on laptop will take you to System Diagnostics UEFI/ BIOS. Perform extensive hard drive test. Did you do this?

If so and you get hard drive had failed error message.

Related: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463

You've to replace it with a new one of similar form factor

Have you created HP Recovery USB using HP Recovery Manager after first setup of this notebook?

If so, you can use this to factory reset after replacement

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi there, thank you for taking the trouble to try and help.

Yes, i tried doing the F2 you suggest but it does not work and take me to that list of options as hoped.

The link you show is exactly what appears when I start it.

I am hesitant to try doing a hard reset for fear of losing all the memory so not having any success it looks like i will have to go toa computer shop to see if they can at least retriev the memory.

My thanks, Mike.  

HP Recommended
Mike,

I strongly believe you've to replace hard drive with a new one.

You can salvage the data from failed drive by booting from LiveCD​, that you can create from another PC, and then copying the files from old drive to external hard drive

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

HP Recommended

Many thanks again - i'll try that and see if it works and let you know, cheers, mike.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome Mike.

Cheers!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.