Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7-2017us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have windows 7; 64 bit. I noticed that the laptop is getting very hot and the fan makes noise. Trying to solve this problem I went to the HPSA. It shows that I have no updates needed; however when I go to the HP site and I ask it to identify my system it does show a lot of outstanding updates. Therefore I need help on 2 issues, the first one the heat being generated and the second about the updates. I also checked and it shows that I have the latest version of Support Assistant. The updates are all from 2016 and 2 refer to BIOS.

I am not to knowledgeable on this issues, any help will be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The F.26 BIOS update is an important one because of security issues. The change log states:

"Provides improved security for UEFI EDK2

HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS."

It wont hurt to delete the existing sp66805 folder. I suggested it because it is confusing you with the download/install process asking you to replace it.

You could try re-naming it,  that will probably work.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Te fan noise and overheating problem means the fan cooling system is clogged with dust. See this video for cleaning instruction.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

I would let HPSA identify any needed updates. The latest BIOS update is F.26 from June 2014. Only consider updating if your current BIOS is older than this. And the read this first:

HP Recommended

KarenUK,

Thank you for your response. I checked the mssonfig32 as indicated:

BIOS version date: Insyde F.25, 5/29/13

I did not see any area showing updates such as the ones from Microsoft that are listed in a section. I do not know if there was an update after this.

Thank you,

AG

HP Recommended

Anne.

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

Version F.26

Released: Jun 12, 2014

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66805.exe

First thing I would do is get a can of air and clean any dust that may be blocking the exhaust ports.

REO

HP Recommended

REO,

Thank you but I do have a concern. When I go to support and enter my model # I can see  various updates, all dated 3/1/16, but there are 4 of them (FOA, F26, F24 and F.25). Looks like doing the wrong thing could really mess up everything, so I do not know what to do. Also I do not know why I did not get the one from 2014. Also if these are dated 3/1/16 why did I not get it automatically.

I am quite confused here.

Thanks,

Ana

HP Recommended

Provost,

Thank you for your advice.

I have found the update that you and Karen mentioned in the HP website uisng my model number. I am confused because the date shown is 3/1/2016 no 2014. I am very afraid to do something wrong. I also read a link included in the previous response that indicates that I need to use a drive to copy the BIOS or something like that. My techincal knowledge is limited and I am afraid to do something wrong. I also do not understand why the HP assistant did not update the drive automatically. I wonder if I should unsinstall and reinstall HP assistant and then maybe it will do it automatically. I definitely have the original version F.25 5/29/13.

I have not used the canned air, I am actually afraid to use it because the can says compressed gas. In any event I noticed that there is no noise at all in the fan which makes me think that it is not dust.

Your advice again please....

Thank you,

Ana

HP Recommended

You should be looking under the "details" tab for the download.  F.26 version bios released Jun 12, 2014.  Ignore the Mar 1 2016 date. The download is contained in its own installer programme which checks and installs the new bios. In your case there is no need to copy the download to a USB drive. 

Bios updating can go catastrophically wrong, if you are unsure how to do it then maybe you should leave it to someone more "tekkie".  Re-installing HPSA is a good idea in case it is not functioning properly, but don't let it update your bios. It is safer to do it from the drivers download page.

Installing the BIOS update.

Once you have downloaded and saved the latest version of the BIOS to your computer, you will need to install the new BIOS image. Installing the BIOS update will take a few minutes. It is important to remain patient - do not interrupt the update process.
To install the BIOS update, follow the steps below.
  1. Connect the AC power supply to the notebook. Do not disconnect the power supply during the BIOS update process.
  2. Close any open programs and temporarily disable your antivirus software. Remember to re-enable the antivirus software after the installation is complete.
  3. Locate the BIOS file (example filename: sp12345.exe) that you downloaded and saved to a convenient location on your computer.
  4. Double-click the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
  5. Wait for the installation to complete, and then restart the computer when prompted.
    The latest version of the BIOS is now installed on the computer.

Re the compressed air. It is only air. Try it out first before you use it on the laptop. The laptop vents at the left side are the fan exhaust vents. With the laptop turned off blow air into the vents to dislodge any clogging.

HP Recommended

Karen, thank you. I will update BIOS. The only concern that I have left is that I used Norton Security and I hope there is no conflict. I believe I can disable both the firewall and auto protect. Do you recomment that I do that? 

Thank you again,

Ana

HP Recommended

Yes, disable it all AND turn off the wifi before installing.

HP Recommended

So sorry to sound so ignorant, but if I turn off the wifi, how do I access the internet?

Thanks,

Ana

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.