Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I power on the taptop, it will go past the startup menu and then to a blinking cursor.  Windows 10 will not start. I suspect something corrupted on one of those automatic updates. The power button will shut down the machine immediately and the HP startup menu is accessible using the esc key. The startup menu works, as does HP Advanced System Diagnostics, and I have mouse pointer function while using HP software.  Everything checks out fine with the diagnostics.  This machine was originally a factory Windows 7 that I upgraded earlier in 2016 to Windows 10 ( Which I have regretted ever since).   When I hit the F11 Recovery menu,  I then get the Windows starting bar and the HP Recovery Manager starts up. No restore points were set, so I can't roll back.  I did a file backup (16GB) and stored it on a flashdrive.

I need to find out if I should just do a recovery back to Windows 7, and if the back up I did through the HP Recovery Manager will work with Windows 7 since the machine currently has Windows 10.  While researching this problem, I found the HP warning not to install Windows 10 on a 2012 machine. Wish I would have checked HP sooner.

There are some really important files on this machine, and I need some guarantee that all those documents and PDFs will be perfectly restored.  Or is there another way that a computer expert can somehow retrieve and/or copy those document files independently from a windows backup.

And if I choose the Win 7 recovery and file backup option, should I let Windows do all the updates first before installing the back up?  Or should I install the backup files first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you used the HP Recovery Manager to backup files, then use the following document that guides you how to restore the files.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01673043

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

***Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP***

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey Golfnut,

I recommend running the Windows 10 reset through WinRe.  Check out this document: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

In the section "Performing a push-button reset through Windows Recovery Environment," there is an option to keep your files.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello

If you want to roll back to Windows 7, use the following doc which will guide you through backing up and then performing the recovery.

Once done check if your pc is Windows 10 compatible, since you can still upgrade to Windows 10.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110#!&AbT1%3Fjumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you.  When I use the F11 key, it says starting windows but appears to be Windows 7.  Then the HP recovery Manager window opens (version 5.0.6.0).  There are three options under the "I need Immediate help" heading.  Those are: 1) Microsoft System Restore (which apparently there is no restore point so that won't work; 2) System Recovery to restore to factory condition; 3) Minimized Image Recovery, "to restore OS, drivers and selct software only (clean image)."  I'm a little worried, as the recovery manager appears to be factory information, which means #3 may be a clean image of Windows 7 and not 10.

HP Recommended

Thanks Wes_notebooks.

When I use the F11 key, it says starting windows but appears to be Windows 7.  Then the HP recovery Manager window opens (version 5.0.6.0).  There are three options under the "I need Immediate help" heading.  Those are: 1) Microsoft System Restore (which apparently there is no restore point so that won't work; 2) System Recovery to restore to factory condition; 3) Minimized Image Recovery, "to restore OS, drivers and selct software only (clean image)." 

I'm a little worried, as the recovery manager appears to be factory information, which means #3 may be a clean image of Windows 7 and not 10.  Which may be fine, but I still need to know if the files a backed up through the HP Recovery Manager will work if I do a full recovery.

HP Recommended

Thanks Muzammil_A

If I do roll back to windows 7, should I just leave it with 7 and not upgrade?  per the HP guidance I saw somewhere, this laptop is too old for Windows 10 and there may be driver issues.  I have found 10 a little frustrating, as the laptop seems to run slower, and I can't control when to install the updates.

Also, will the file backup I did through the HP Recovery Manager be compatible with the fresh Windows 7 recovery?

HP Recommended

Hey,

I would keep this PC in Windows 7 and not upgrade to 10. Since you don't see the Windows Recovery Environment after F11 you will need to try the recovery.  If you have your files backed up, try the minimized recovery.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for that advice  wes_notebooks. 

I'm thinking I will need to do the recovery route back to Windows 7.  I hadn't actually done a backup on this machine before I had this problem.  Learned my lesson big time.  But I did do a backup the other day using the HP Recovery Manager File Backup section. 

I apologize for needing hand holding...  If I do the minimized recovery (or the full system recover) will the Windows 7 let this file backup re-install those documents?  I don't have a backup copy of the individual documents saved anywhere.  Sounds like the minimized image recovery is the way to go.

HP Recommended

Hey,

When you ran the file backup, did you back it up to removable media (like a flash drive)?  If so then yes, run minimized recovery and then you can transfer the files back.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

If you used the HP Recovery Manager to backup files, then use the following document that guides you how to restore the files.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01673043

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.