Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Guys,

My laptop froze for a very long time forcing me to do a hard shut down. Only thing open at the time was outlook.

I turned it back on and found is has deleted all files and my profile and settings (though programs remain). Its lucky on this occaision that ive only had it for a few weeks and all my files have so far been saved to the cloud, but other than being a pain in the ass to have to download all the files again and re-do all the program settings etc im concerned if this happens again in the future when I've got a lot more stuff on it Ill lose it all forever.

Any ideas on why it happened and how to prevent it from happening again?

Regards

kale

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kaleishere

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre X360 laptop and it froze due to some reason. You had to perform a manual shutdown and restart the laptop. Post this, your data is lost is missing. I read that fortunately you saved your data to the cloud which is indeed a life saver in such situations. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• When the laptop freezes, did you initially press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys and check if that opens the Windows task manager?
  • Does the laptop freeze often or it happens just one time?
  • Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Usually, the data does not get deleted by itself unless there is a virus attack or something like that or it has been manually deleted. Meanwhile, I suggest you to perform a Microsoft System Restore and check if restoring the laptop to an earlier date brings back your data. 

I suggest you to monitor the laptop's performance and If this happens again then, you may refer to this HP document which contains steps to help improve system performance in Windows 10.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.