Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My bios is taking too long to update it is taking 4 and still counting. I had to do the bios update because my laptop stuck so I searched few videos to do something and then it showed that the bios update was needed so I turned it on but for so much long time like for 4 hours I’m waiting for update to complete . Please help me with it 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @krosgawande,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Updating the BIOS should not typically take several hours. If your BIOS update is taking an unusually long time (like 4 hours), it may indicate a problem. Here's what you can do:

Ensure Power Supply Stability:

• Make sure your laptop is connected to a reliable power source. Do not unplug it during the update process.

Check for Signs of Activity:

• Look for any signs of activity, such as blinking LEDs or fan movement, which might indicate the update is still in progress.

Wait a Little Longer:

• Although unusual, sometimes updates can take longer than expected. If there are signs of activity, give it some more time.

Force Restart (if Necessary):

• Risk Warning: Force restarting your laptop during a BIOS update can potentially brick your device (make it unusable). Use this as a last resort.
  • Hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds to force a shutdown.
  • Wait a minute, then turn the laptop back on and see if it resumes the update or reboots normally.

Recovery Steps:

• BIOS Recovery Mode: Some laptops have a BIOS recovery mode that can be activated if an update fails. Consult your laptop's manual or HP's support website for instructions specific to your model.
  • USB Recovery: If your laptop does not boot, you might need to perform a BIOS recovery using a USB drive with the BIOS file. Download the BIOS recovery file from HP's support website on another computer, create a recovery USB, and follow the instructions for your model.

Contact HP Support:

• If the above steps do not work, or if you are unsure about proceeding, it's best to contact HP support for assistance. They can guide you through the recovery process or arrange for repair if needed.

Detailed Steps for BIOS Recovery on HP Laptops:

Create a BIOS Recovery USB Drive:

• Use another computer to download the BIOS recovery file from the HP support website.
  • Follow the instructions on the HP website to create a BIOS recovery USB drive.

Initiate BIOS Recovery:

• Insert the recovery USB drive into your laptop.
  • Hold the Windows + B keys (or Windows + V on some models), and while holding them, press and hold the Power button for 2-3 seconds, then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows + B keys until you see the BIOS recovery screen.

Follow On-Screen Instructions:

• Follow the instructions provided on the BIOS recovery screen to recover and update the BIOS.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.