Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop is about a year old, at most, and works just fine for the most part. No great glitches or anything else of the sort to report. The battery life is also perfectly fine...

But for absolutely no reason that I can comprehend, it shuts down with a sort of a 'blip' sound in the middle of whatever I happen to be working and won't boot again. There is no significant overheating to report either. Just slightly on the warmer side.

I haven't been dropping it, on any hard surface or water and I don't believe there has been any significant high voltage supplied.

Until this morning, it didn't do this when the power cord was plugged in but unless that came loose when I wasn't looking, it now turns off even when the power cord is plugged in.

What could be the reason behind this?
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @VasundharaSingh,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with your computer. I can help you with that.

Let's try these steps-

Step 1  Hard Reset

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Unplug the Adapter and any other peripherals connected.

3) Remove the Battery from the Battery compartment(if it is not a sealed one).

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.

5) Release the button.

6) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back(if it's not a sealed Battery) into the Battery compartment. 

7) Try to turn on the computer.

Step 2  Hardware Diagnostics

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3) Press F2 once for System Diagnostics.

4) Go to component test.

5) Run the Battery test and AC Adapter test.

Please let me know the results after following the above.

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for the help. I'll try it now.
HP Recommended

laptop shuts down after 5 minutes, even though it is plugged in, battery at 95% power. screen goes blank, drive spins down, totally ignoring any power settings I have.  right now, power & sleep mode is set to 5 hours when plugged in. I changed it from 1 to 3 to now 5 hours. screen 5 hours, sleep 5 hours, hard drive turned off after 440 minutes when plugged in, none of it matters.  I get distracted, and poof, machine shuts down.  I can't work like that. what is weird is, I had this issue a while ago, then it stopped, then some new windows 10 update installed, and now it's back again.  FIX THIS.

HP Recommended

Ah, found my previous post on this exact topic, looked in the registry, and hiberate must have been re-enabled in that last windows update. set it back to 0, and life is good again.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power, HibernateEnabled set to 0

HP Recommended

I am still face the same issue even after doing all these steps. The tests say that my battery is ok. My laptop works fine for a few minutes then turns off even with 54% battery remaining. Also, doesn't charge properly. The charger stays connected but stops charging after every few minutes, doesn't reach 100%. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.