Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion laptop 17"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this laptop in 11/14 It came with win 8.1 Right from the start I had hardware issues. Just about all parts have been replaced. At one point I was able to reach the service department in US after recieving laptop back from repairs. NOT SO ANYMORE........I have had nothing but horrific service from the call center in INDIA. Not a racist. I made the horrible mistake to accept and try the free upgrade to win 10. Ever since then my laptop has been useless for the most part.  I have called the customer service tech center more times than I can recal and have spent countless hours allowing them to troubleshot issues. Unfortunately nothing is resloving the issues with the sleep/wake function. every variation to all aspects of device manager and settings have been tried, drivers, updates, new builds, resety, restore etc....I was sent recovery discs last April for win 8.1 I CANT EVEN USE THEM TO REVERT BACK TO 8.1 I called the tech support again..and as usual it is the most infuriating process to go over and over all of the issues and ingformation with someone new each time.  I spend HOURS trying to reslove these issues and nothing works. I called again today and they disconnected me.  I call back and there is a recorded message saying they are having technical difficulties, call again and it sounds as if I have reached a fax line. THEY ARE USELESS! I have spent too many hours, stress, energy and loss of ovetr 1200.00 in laptop, warranty and virus protector all from HP. Im on disability and am ready to blow yet another gasket. I am ready to toss this, wait smash this piece of garbage on the ground and smile!  Sorry for my upset but I am at my wits end. CAN SOMEONE please help me revert to 8.1.  The problem is after a month of using windows 10 ir erased my recovery for 8.1, There isnt anything to revert back to and the recovery discs I recieved do not work.  I want to speak to someone in the USA. I paid good money to protect this laptop and have been responsible. What good is me spending all of this money and time if I cannot get my issues resolved? They are making this the worst, no...they have made this the worst purchaser ever and biggest regret. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET RID OF 10 and back to 8.1? Im ready to blow another gasket and land in the hospital from this stress. Thank you and I apologize if my words are offensive or....whatever...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello ltm1969ok,

We are only volunteers on this forum but I will be glad to help you as best I can.

Before I recommend anything, I need to know what the full model number (or Product Number) of your laptop is so I know what I'm working with.

Tip: In laptops, the number is usually inside the battery compartment.

Take the battery out if its possible, and look inside.

Only post the model or product number. Don't post the Serial Number.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I called them back twice since my post and they are wanting to charge me more money now for the downgrade back to 8.1  This is a complete nightmare.Whereas before they sent me the recovery discs but they did not work.  I see that this is a rather problematic issue with this laptop and people upgrading from 8.1 to 10. I thought I made a recovery image on a USB but I cannot find the USB if I even made a recovery image.

Here is the information you requested: Product # J953UA 

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook 17-f132 DS

HP Recommended

OOPS! I left a character out of my product number. Let me try this again..sorry

Product # J9N53UA

HP Recommended

OK got it, Thanks.

Wow, sorry to hear about all the problems.

Out of curiosity, was the main issue with Windows 10 about the Sleep function not working?

What was it doing?

Did the HP support have you update the drivers from the HP website for Win 10?

Other than that, you are asking how to reinstall Windows 8.1 but the recovery disks they sold you are not working, correct?

You should be able to download Windows 8.1 from the Microsoft website and clean install it without having to know the activation key. The key is embedded in the bios and Windows will see it.

Using a different computer, download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and install it.

Download Windows 8.1

You will need a USB pen drive that's a minimum 4 gigs in size (8 or 16 will also work).

Insert it and run the tool.

You will want to choose Windows 8.1 Home 64 bit.

To install Windows to the laptop...

Have the power cord plugged in.

Insert the USB drive.

Turn the power on and immediately and rapidly tap the Esc key until the Startup Menu appears.

Choose F9 Boot Device Options.

You should see the USB drive listed. Select it to run.

Windows will load. Follow the prompts.

Windows will restart several times during the process.

The first time it restarts, unplug the USB drive so it does not try to run the install from the beginning again.

During the install, Windows might ask you for the activation key. Choose to Skip that and continue.

When the install is complete and you connect to the internet to update Windows, it will activate itself at that time.

TIP: If for some reason the bios does not see the USB drive in the Boot Options, you will need to make some changes in the bios.

Start the computer into the Startup Menu again.

Choose F10 Bios Setup.

In the Bios, arrow over to System Configuration.

Arrow down to Boot Options and hit Enter.

Arrow down to Legacy Support and Enable it.

Arrow down to Secure Boot and Disable it.

Hit F10 to Save and Exit.

The laptop will start up and ask you to enter a 4 digit key it will give you.

Do that. It will not show the numbers being typed, this is normal.

The laptop will continue to start up.

Now reboot and try the process over again to boot from the USB stick. It will now be seen.

Let me know how it goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.