Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment Notebook PC LW174UA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My hard drive died. Stupid me never made any recovery disk. Installed new hard drive and now need boot device/disks. Where can I get the recovery disks or the operating system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only place I know of where you can get them is from this vendor...

Computer Surgeons - Windows 7 64B Recovery Kit 658854-001 For HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC ...

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 Home Premium product key on your notebook's case, you can make your own bootable W7 USB installation flash drive by downloading the W7 Home Premium English ISO file from the link below.

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/8/EA804D86-C3DF-4719-9966-6A66C9306598/7601.24214.180801...

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

Boot from one of your notebook's USB 2 ports.

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Suppor...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only place I know of where you can get them is from this vendor...

Computer Surgeons - Windows 7 64B Recovery Kit 658854-001 For HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC ...

If you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 Home Premium product key on your notebook's case, you can make your own bootable W7 USB installation flash drive by downloading the W7 Home Premium English ISO file from the link below.

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/8/EA804D86-C3DF-4719-9966-6A66C9306598/7601.24214.180801...

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

Boot from one of your notebook's USB 2 ports.

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Suppor...

HP Recommended

The link you provided me for the ISO, when I click on it, just down loads. it does not ask me for my Windows Key. Will it ask me at some point or is it supposed to just download?

HP Recommended

After you make the bootable installation media, and go to install W7, you will be asked to enter a product key during the beginning stages of the installation process.

HP Recommended

So I turn the laptop on. It boots up. Asks me install windows. The it asks for a drive for the CD/DVD device. I download all the drivers from HP onto a DVD. I browse the dvd and I get, "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok."

HP Recommended

Did you boot from the PC's USB 2 port?

It will not boot from a USB 3 port because W7 doesn't have the USB 3 drivers to continue any further.

HP Recommended

Which one is that? Is it on the left or right side, front or rear of the two on each side?

HP Recommended

According to chapter 2, page 20 of the service manual, the USB 2 port is on the right side of the notebook...

c02842278.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

OK, I thought I had tried that side with same results, but it seems to be working now. I will let you know if I run into any other issues. Thank you very much for you help and assistance. It has been very helpful and appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.