Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Original hard drive died.  Installed new drive, which tests fine.  However, booting up from CD and attempting to restore image contained on USB external drive, but the drive is not recognized.  I have tested on another Laptop (Lenovo) which recognizes the USB external drive, so there is no issue with the external drive.  I cannot restore my HP Pavilion unless I can get it to recognize the USB drive containing the HD image.  Please let me know if there is a way to do so.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @jnperri

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

Don't worry I'd like to help.

As you mentioned when you connect the bootable USB drive on a different PC it boots from the USB drive however you are unable to boot on this PC.

Are you using a bootable flash drive?

Have you tried connecting the flash drive to different USB ports on your PC and check if you're able to boot?

Have you changed the boot options in BIOS from secure boot to legacy?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 on your PC.

You will boot into BIOS go to advanced options.

Select boot options and change it to legacy from the list?

Also, change the boot order from the list to USB to the top order.

Use F5 and F6 keys to change the boot order.

Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Also, try to make the flash drive bootable using Rufus software.

You can search for this software in google.

If the issue persists, Try using a different USB drive.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Clarification:  I'm booting from a CD.  The hard drive image (Carbonite) is on the USB drive.  It is the USB drive that the computer is not recognizing from the Setup Utility.  However, the Setup Utility on my other computer does recognize the USB drive.  The other computer is a newer computer (Lenovo) running Windows 10, whereas my HP is running Windows 7 with BIOS version F.13 (Insyde).

I have tried connecting the USB drive to different USB ports which has not resolved the issue.

I do not see an option for "Advanced Options" in the BIOS.

Also, in BIOS, Boot Optinos, there is no option for "legacy" but it does give me the option to change the Boot Order.  Here are the options, Notebook Hard Drive, Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive, USB Diskette, USB CD/DVD ROM Drive, ! USB Floppy, ! Network Adapter. 

I will try  changing the boot order to add USB Diskette to the top.

I will also look into Rufus software.

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi! @jnperri, Thanks for your response and time.

I have checked the records of your PC. There are no options of selecting legacy in BIOS.

However, there are certain laptops which have this options.

So, please try the changing the boot order and use the software I mentioned in my previous post.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.