Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy laptop

#1–I am not computer literate, please bear with me

i keep getting an error message that say no hard drive installed. I went to the HP tech center and followed the instructions. Ran the memory test, then quick hard drive check-both ok-but then ran the extensive check and received this mssg 

No hard drive installed check power etc.

I reconnected power supply to the laptop and to the outlet- ran test again getting same error mssg   
Please help. Thank you, JoEllen

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JoEllenS 

Sorry, but there is not anything we can do from here about this.

This could mean that the drive has totally failed, so it is not seen anymore, but it can also mean that a connection cable has come loose, so it is also not seen anymore.

You need to take the laptop to a local repair facility where they can open it and check out the drive and connector.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

When the quick HDD-Check was ok, then there is a harddrive.

But it is not detected when it is a MBR-Drive and the "BIOS" runs in UEFI-Mode.

So check that first:

F10 command several times during startup and enter BIOS
Look for Legacy (in advanced settings) and Boot Options.

Here you have to enable Legacy again.
Save the changes and exit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.