Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP clearly needs to fix this software. In the meantime, I just changed the settings for HP Support Solutions not to do automatic updates. When I manually open the program to search for and install updates, it does not have the high CPU problem.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @aimee85

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

HP Support Assistant is not a mandatory software to keep or use. Althought it is useful for some cases, you can safely uninstall it and not use it [HP Support framework and HP Support Assistant].

If there is a need to update drivers in Windows 10 or 8, there are other methods you could use such as these described here >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

Hope this helps.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello HP,

You advice is very strange. Why dont' you tell s why you can remove it?

John

HP Recommended

No PC stated, no model number, of PC .   from 1980s to now...  vast classes of PC,

no OS stated, is this the virus magnet XP?>

no taskmanager readings.  show the line that has huge CPU % 

no listing of your startup files presented.

my guess, system is old and full of malware and virus.

most are, in fact.  (ones that run slow all are, in most cases)

message to John,  lots of software is not needed on any HP. (or even MS OS)

it's like car, if the drink holders can be removed  ,the  car still drives perfectly,  

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

before point fingers,?

first learn true cause of problem,

then point fingers. !

NO laptop stated, no OS stated,  (windows what? if windows)

super simple.

1: get it serviced

2: : learn to fix it.

2 choices, that everyone has.

choice 2 is not easy,

but lets break it down,

• it's infected  , your systemis infected  as most are, now....  learn to clean it, or reload the OS, F11 key does that.
  • learn to use task manager, and see what is causing the overload.  (you never said which line there is running to high)
  • you really have 2 choices learn to find the offending software, or do F11 reload. 
HP Recommended

Well,

I'm not ably to understand everthing that's written.  I'm a simple user.

Yesterday I just finished the ended the ' task in the ' task manager' . It's not the first time this year.

If the ventilation is making noise I do take a look with taskmanager.

27% use off CPU,  my 2,5 years old i7 64 laptop, that's not right.

This laptop is only used for mail, browser, word ,excel. yes; sometimes photoshop.l; that's heavy use

The reason I did react, is that the most advices I got in the last years (5-8 tries in ,5 years)  didn't work.

I thought to write it down instead of telling it to my wife. :<)

John   

HP Recommended

"is old i7 64 laptop"  ???  what lap top,???   this tells me only CPU is  i7 (2009 is release date) if true is still HP suported.

NO OS stated, is this XP, W7? what , did you do the free w10 upgrade, we can't ever guess what you have.

on mine i can hit Esc and F1 key (info) and the BIOS screen shows me what I own, clearly. 

as does the bottom of LT, has service tag, with model clearly stated.

simple , has many levels.

lets drop to super simple.

1: Get it serviced,.  just 2 words, and will work if the tech, has skills. or he  F11 reload the OS>

2: lean to find the application or service that is overhloading the app.

3: or is virus infected.

4: or is malwareinfected. (most PC slow are both ways infected, and more, even root kits)

A: backup first.  got data? backup or risk lossing all data,.   no hdd runs forever so ...

b: F11 the thing,  push power, press f11 and do a full restore.

The hp web site, tells you how to refresh the OS using F11  , or HP media kits.

vastly LESS SIMPLE>

my guess, is you will never find the true cause of high CPU usage,  ever.  (takes class 10 skills to do that)

I told you the MS develment kit shows how to do this, for debugging new applications/services, finding out just this and memory leaks. and more.

so what does task manager tell you,  if you click CPU on top it shows the max CPU users. (apps0

on the left side what is the offending app.

is it IE , edge,  Chrome, firefox, or windows explorer?  what line on the left shows, huge CPU % (just 1 question)

or just what,?,  Id bet its infected... as most are,

see this tag, it tells the helper what you have

if you click start, then click control panel and sytsem it tells you what OS is there. too.  3 clicks that was.tag1.JPG

HP Recommended

most advice will be bad, why? ( your helpers are blind,) PC are not simple , they are not toasters, or the like.

after all we cant see your PC, test it , 

I now see its not a USA PC.  ( using comma's for decimal points) and using low grade texting device to communicate.

of unknow type. no OS , no operating system stated,  my guess Vista or Windows 7.

my guess #2, (all we can do is guess, see?) is its 2009 laptop,  W7, and was not updated to W10 for free last year,?

how am I guessing, and why must I?

you posted high CPU % but then forgot to look to the left side of screen on THAT line and write down the app doing that.

that line shows what is hogging up all that CPU time.

a name is there, like Virus.exe or IE, or windows.

what is in your start up files (msconfig)

ever do a full virus scan and malware scan, ever? or defrag  that old HDD?

when slow are you using  browers.? if yes, try and alternate, still slow? (try firefox?, it's not full of malware )

do you have data on your LT (laptop) not backed up. Yes/no?

the answers we give will be based on all those facts.. and more... pretend helper cant see what you own,..,.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.