Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought last week an elitebook 8440p from a friend, I tried to restore the system from the F11 key at start but it seems that this key haven't any function, I googled and I found that I have to download  HP protect tools and decryp the hard drive but without any solution

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fh20564...

I found later that my friend have changed the Os system and he losts the win 7 licence key and I have't found the sticker below the laptop

My question is can I recover the key of my OS knowing that I have the serial of my laptop?

Thank you i advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry the numbers are no longer valid.

There is a general website to contact HP by country which you can try navigating around...

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html

On the HP Elitebook 6930p which was the model that preceeded the 8440p and looks exactly the same, the Windows  product key is under the plastic business card holder on the bottom of the notebook.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Bososn

Sorry, NO.  HP does not maintain records of individual product keys associated with individual PCs it sells.

The F11 key does not work because your "friend" changed the OS on the machine and that likely corrupted the Recovery information that HP loaded there.

In many cases, the COA sticker is inside the battery compartment -- you should check there.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood

Thank you very much for your fast reply,

About the COA , is this image contains the COA and how I can recover my win key from it

HP Recommended

Sorry, but the image you posted is not displaying in the forum.

There are two very different COA stickers:

1) Win7 and prior -- have the product key printed

2) Win8 and newer -- no product key

If there is no 25-digit product key printed on the COA sticker, that means your PC came with Win8x or newer, and there's no way you can retrieve that product key using that sticker.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help

Man does not attain all his heart's desires 😉

HP Recommended

Open the battery bay. Sometimes the COA is in there. Laptop is definitely Windows 7 era and should have a Windows 7 COA unless it was removed. 

I see this advice was already given but you did not post a picture of the inside of the battery bay. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Call the HP business support number for the country you live in, and order a set of W7 recovery disks for your notebook.

Have the serial number handy to give to the customer services rep.

The HP disks will work without a product key, nor will the installation need to be activated.

Here is an old business pc phone listing by country.  The phone number for the USA/Canada is still valid.

I don't know about any of the others.

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/desktop/business_desktops/6005us_332630_007.pdf

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer
Thank you for your help, I am traveling now, I will post the photo battery bay later this evening.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help, unfortunately, the number phone for my country in not valid it seems to be changed, I searched in google a new version of this document without success

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry the numbers are no longer valid.

There is a general website to contact HP by country which you can try navigating around...

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html

On the HP Elitebook 6930p which was the model that preceeded the 8440p and looks exactly the same, the Windows  product key is under the plastic business card holder on the bottom of the notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.