Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For whatever reason, the latest Microsoft update crashed my computer and I had to do a complete Microsoft re-install. It took me a couple of days but besides losing my data, I also lost applications that were included in the original HP package (like Beat Audio, Cool Sense etc..), the use of my f-key functions and who know what else.

How do I restore those components? I bought direct from HP Direct and I am sure it is off-warranty but I would at least like to know how I could download and re-install the original configuration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Philvbo wrote:

There are 4 driver downloads listed under the chip set:

1. Chip set installation and driver (I assume I start there)
  2. Management Engine Interface  driver
  3. Rapid start technology driver
  4. Smart connect tech driver

Do I install them in that order?

Also, in order to preserve the data on the original Hitachi hard drive, I installed a new Samsung hard drive so as to gain more speed by replacing a 500 GB drive with a 250 GB drive (recommended by my office network tech). I'm guessing I should at least ignore the Hitachi firmware download? Everything else is original from purchase.

Yes, I would install them in that order.

Yes, you can ignore the Hitachi firmware.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check hp.com for your specific model.

HP Recommended

Referencing the bottom of the unit, I provided my serial number CND 346OD3V to HP, even using the auto-detection feature,  but HP doesn't recognize my S/N. It's only been about two years since I bought it from HP Direct and it was on warranty so I find that very curious. All I know is that my laptop is an Envy with a 13" TouchSmart fixed display,  8 GB RAM, 500GB memory.

HP Recommended

Don't use the serial number. Use the model number.

HP Recommended

Okay. That worked. Is it safe to simply download the components listed? For instance, I don't see "Cool Sense" or "Beat Audio" or anything that suggest key functions that are unique to to HP over the components installed in the Microsoft re-install. Am I risking messing things up? Not that I think Beat Audio is anything great but I am leary of updating drivers blindly. I guess I need a little general guidance about how to proceed with these downloads. And BTW, thanks for your help. You "unstuck" me from my rut.

HP Recommended

The most important driver is the Intel chipset driver.

You must install that first.

You may not see those special application software. I don't see what you are seeing, so I can't say for sure.

HP Recommended

Also, in order to preserve the data on the original Hitachi hard drive, I installed a new Samsung hard drive so as to gain more speed by replacing a 500 GB drive with a 250 GB drive (recommended by my office network tech). I'm guessing I should at least ignore the Hitachi firmware download? Everything else is original from purchase.

HP Recommended

@Philvbo wrote:

Yes, I would install them in that order.

Yes, you can ignore the Hitachi firmware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.