Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp g71
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a g71-449wm laptop, windows 7.  when i purchased, I burned the recovery discs (3).  i had to replace the hard drive when the old one died.  went to recovery manager, selected system recovery, loaded each of the three recovery discs when it told me to.  after the 3rd disc, manager said remove all discs and click next for laptop to reboot and continue the recovery. this is where the problem occurs. it won't reboot and if i turn it off then back on it starts all over asking for the recovery discs. any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like your recovery discs are corrupt.  You can buy a recovery disk for your product from HP's website if you are unable to make one yourself.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

How long did you wait before rebooting?  I would give it more time possibly up to an hour.

HP Recommended

overnight. still says "no bootable device" without the disc in and recovery manager starts over with the disc in

HP Recommended

Sounds like your recovery discs are corrupt.  You can buy a recovery disk for your product from HP's website if you are unable to make one yourself.

HP Recommended

thank you for your reply.  i will do that although i'm not happy to have to buy something which should have come with the laptop to begin with.  thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

HP usually always includes a recovery disk, you can always make one yourself but probably easier to just purchase one from HP since it will be for your exact system.

HP Recommended

tried purchasing, but hp says no software or drivers found for my laptop & operating system, went to product homepage and the links for aquiring recovery discs/kits simply tells me to gather all info from my laptop, ie. exact model number, but gives no way to purchase anything. 

i wish this laptop had come with a recovery disc, but it didn't and i was only allowed to make one set of discs.

HP Recommended

You are in luck it seems like HP offers the drivers for your laptop for free they are all their.  I would link you to the exact page but for some reason it does not seem to work.  Go to google and type in hp support then go to software and drivers section.  Where it says enter model number type in g71-449wm and your laptop will show up along with all the drivers.  Go down to utility tools and select HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility download it to a usb flash drive and reboot your computer again with flash drive plugged in with Utility on it.

HP Recommended

I have another option for you go to this http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/.  Go down on the page to where it says download the media creation tool.  Download the one of your choice windows 8.1 or 10 they also have an option for 7.  It will ask you for a windows cd key their should be one on your laptop.  Follow the on screen instructions and make a bootable USB flash drive.  After that reboot your computer from the flash drive then install windows from the flash drive.  Then return to HP's driver page and download all the drivers for your notebook.

HP Recommended

If all the above steps I provided seem a little complicated just call HP support and purchase through them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.