Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 15 e017tx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello Sir,

From last 6 years i had windows preloaded 8 ,but i have installed with dual boot of linux.Unfortunately my Hp recovery media and enviroinment with windows files all are deleted.Windows 8 Recovery back up cd's also missing.So i can't do anything.

currently i can able to boot only my linux only, i can't enter into the  windows 8 recovery media or boot .But i am trying to install windows 8.1 or 10, but 's it;s not possible to install.

I am getting like this error,Kindly help me.

While Secure boot is enable While Secure boot is disable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi WAWood,
It's posssible to do the update in linux platform, is it possible to access my windows 8 ...

I want to install new windows 10, is there any option to do...

While i was trying to install my new windows 10, its not getting boot..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Arunselvas

Sorry, but when you installed Linux, most likely, you corrupted the HP OEM Recovery information, so now, no such recovery is possible anymore.  You undoubtedly had to repartition your drive to make room for Linux, and when you did that, it "broke" the recovery process.

When you installed Linux, it overwrote the MBR on your dive to point to GRUB -- which is why you are getting that error message.

If all you want to do now is be able to boot into Windows and Linux, then do the following:

1) Boot into Linux

2) Open a terminal and enter "sudo update-grub"

3) Reboot

After you reboot, you should then see a GRUB menu with entries for Windows and Linux.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Hi WAWood,
It's posssible to do the update in linux platform, is it possible to access my windows 8 ...

I want to install new windows 10, is there any option to do...

While i was trying to install my new windows 10, its not getting boot..
HP Recommended

Did you try the "update-grub" solution?

Asking because if that works, you might then have a working Win8.1 system.

With that working, we can then talk about a possible Win10 uopgrade.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi sir,
          I did so many time whatever you given some rules and grub updates..but I'm getting  command like this....

If  i enabled legacy support, which is showing only linux source ,for that i can able to enter into linux platform..

Otherwise which I enabled this secure boot , i am not getting any image of this os, like it's not authenticating....If i tried to install any windows like 8.1 or 10...I am getting error unknown file and grub error only..

IMG_20170112_222208.jpg

HP Recommended
Hi sir,
Above mentioned same issue getting till now.What should I do, i need to install new windows 10.Kindly help me the solution..
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.