Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Stream 13 that refuses to boot.  It is one of the models that are no longer being manufactured and came with Windows 8.1 Bing.  The upgrade to Windows 10 was successfully completed.

What can I do to reinstall the OS?  Can I reinstall Windows 10 upfront or do I need to install the same Windows 8 version?  If so, where can I get the OS as no recovery medium was made.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the only prerequisite is that the original upgrade from 8.1 with Bing to Windows 10 had activated Ok.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation of 10 as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I attempted the first solution as I have two HP Stream 13 and only one is not starting, however, I have ht a snag.  My version is the 32gb version and my C drive currently has less than 4 Gb of free space.  Now, I have 15 gb of free space on my D drive (Micro SD card) but Windows is not giving the option to use the other drive.  I also realise that I cannot update my working HP Stream 13 because of this issue.

Is there any way to get the upgrade/create the installation media without the 8gb of free space in C drive?

HP Recommended

Hi,

With regards to the machine that doesn't boot ( but has previously been upgraded to Windows ), I would suggest removing all the current partitions, then do a clean installation - you can do this as follows.

When you get to the screen 'What type of installation do you want?', choose the 'Custom: install windows only (advanced)' option.  For each partition that's currently listed, left click it once and then select Delete - do this for all partitions until you have just one entry left showing as 'Unallocated space', then click 'Next' to continue with the installation.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Will Windows 10 Home work despite having Windows 8.1 with Bing originally?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the only prerequisite is that the original upgrade from 8.1 with Bing to Windows 10 had activated Ok.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  It worked out perfectly.

HP Recommended

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.